Hello! I'm a long-time user of Mach3 and am finishing up a restoration of

Hello!

I’m a long-time user of Mach3 and am finishing up a restoration of a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC for my second machine. Going to grbl/Chilipeppr on this one.

I have grbl and Chilipeppr up and running on an Arduino and RPi. I have various tablets laying around so this should work well without having a dedicated mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc. Want to reduce clutter so I will upload the g-code from a PC in my shop, then cycle start from a tablet.

One thing I would like to have on the front of the machine is the ability to jog the machine and adjust feedrate via buttons hardwired either to the Arduino or RPi. I realize I would have to go to the mega 2560 to do this on the arduino so it might be easier to wire the buttons to some of the RPi gpio’s and have a service running on the RPi that would monitor the gpio pins and send commands to Chilippr. Or would this be easier to do with some modifications to the grbl code? Would love to hear opinions on which way would be better. Not sure if this sort of thing has already been done.

Thanks,
Bob

I would recommend you go with TinyG instead of Grbl. The TinyG workspace has dynamic feed rate control (albeit you have to wait for the planner buffer to get consumed) and the Grbl buffer in SPJS has bugs in it where it pauses a job randomly. As for jogging, I just use the on screen controls in CP and the keyboard controls.

A while back I looked at TinyG and determined that since it had stepper drives built in, it wasn’t suitable for my machine. I have Gecko G203V’s for my machine which are driving Nema 42 steppers. What about g2core on a Due?

@Bob_Japundza If you look at a picture of the TG you will see that there are unpopulated pads for headers for each motor that let you break out the signals for your external drivers.

I was running DM542A with ArduinoDue and gShield and level shifters, as Due is 3.3V and this setup worked very well.
One thing to mention: there is an issue with Autolevel on Due, in case you plan to mill some PCBs.

Would love to see a video of your Bridgeport conversion. I’ve been curious whether I should get a beefier machine like that for serious work.

Would love to see a video of your Bridgeport conversion. I’ve been curious whether I should get a beefier machine like that for serious work.