Hello. I built a grbl/arduino controlled cnc machine and I'm using Chilipeppr as my

Hello. I built a grbl/arduino controlled cnc machine and I’m using Chilipeppr as my gcode sender. I believe I have completed all the steps to build the machine, but I have run into an error. I have attached a screenshot of my grbl page. My Arduino has grbl installed, the drivers and shield are hooked up and they have power, json server is running, the machine status says “idle,” but the x, y, and z axes display “NaN.000.” The machine is also unresponsive when I try to send any gcode to it. I googled for an answer but was unable to find one. Any help is much appreciated!

Do you get anything at all in your serial port console? Turn off the filter as well to debug. It’s the funnel icon.

I do get stuff in my console. I just cleared it. Turned off the filter as well.

@Diego_Prince ​ Could you temporarily disconnect SPJS and connect via terminal e.g. Putty to the Arduino (9600, 8-N-1 for grbl 0.8 or 115200 8-N-1 for 0.9)? Then check if you see grbl menu and verify output of ‘$$’ and ‘?’ (return current status information, no quotes)? You may enable echo in putty session settings to the your input. You may also try some g-code.

Also try SPJS 1.86 and Chilipeppr. I am not running grbl for a while, but the time I was using it I did with 1.86 version of the Serial JSON Server.

Well, the question is what do you get in your terminal? ChiliPeppr parses the incoming data to show you XYZ coordinates. Can you paste what you see in the console?

Check your wiring. If you are using two motors for your Y axis one motor has to turn one way and the other motor turns reverse. If you go to Inventables.com they have some good wiring pictures as well as other assembly things. You can try to use Easal to see if you can get your machine to move. You might have to reflash your arduino as well. Just a couple of suggestions. I do not know much about chilipeppr. Good luck and just keep trying. When it finally works its great, until then it makes you so mad.

@jlauer I get the “settings” in my console:
Grbl 0.9j [’$’ for help]
$$
$0=10 (step pulse, usec) $1=25 (step idle delay, msec) $2=100 (step port invert mask:01100100) $3=0 (dir port invert mask:00000000) $4=0 (step enable invert, bool) $5=0 (limit pins invert, bool) $6=0 (probe pin invert, bool) $10=244 (status report mask:11110100) $11=0.010 (junction deviation, mm) $12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm) $13=0 (report inches, bool) $20=0 (soft limits, bool) $21=0 (hard limits, bool) $22=0 (homing cycle, bool) $23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000) $24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min) $25=500.000 (homing seek, mm/min) $26=250 (homing debounce, msec) $27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm) $100=250.000 (x, step/mm) $101=250.000 (y, step/mm) $102=250.000 (z, step/mm) $110=500.000 (x max rate, mm/min) $111=500.000 (y max rate, mm/min) $112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min) $120=10.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2) $121=10.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2) $122=10.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2) $130=200.000 (x max travel, mm) $131=200.000 (y max travel, mm) $132=200.000 (z max travel, mm)

I am not super tech inclined, especially with these kind of things. I’m glad you guys are able to help me.

My apologies if that was the wrong thing to copy-paste.

Well, I’m looking for the status updates. I bet you’re getting the wrong format or something and thus the parsing isn’t working and then it’s why you get “NaN” in the Axes widget.

Hey @Diego_Prince - What’s the best way attach a screenshot to a post in G+? Not seeing a way to do that anywhere.

Hello again. I bought a new arduino which seems to have fixed the problem I was having. I no longer get the “NaN.000” message. In fact, I get no errors! Everything seems to be going smoothly, but my router is still not moving :(. I can’t see what could possibly be going wrong. The cnc shield is getting power, the drivers are installed correctly, chilipeppr looks perfect. I try to move the axes with the arrows and it doesn’t move. I am really confused as to what is going on here. @jlauer

Check, check and re-check wiring first. What is the machine status in Chilipeppr? Do you have limit switches enabled? It is also possible that grbl is set to start in locked state after power on in order to make sure a user will perform homing sequence, to unlock hit ‘CTRL’+‘X’ on the chilipeppr screen.

Machine Status is idle and when I launch a command it says “run”. No limit switches enabled. I did ctrl+x as well. I am beginning to believe that it’s the wiring from the shield to the motors. One of the motors does this weird locking up thing when i turn the machine on.