Hello Guys , Is anyone using this type of belts in 3D printers??

Hello Guys ,
Is anyone using this type of belts in 3D printers??

GT2 steel wire timing belt

I’m interested too. Do you have a source for it?

I never found anything other than glass filled belts, IIRC. What would be the advantage of the steel wire belt?

I use them on my P3steel printer. Originally I used them with 16 tooth pulleys and the belt on the X axis (steel wire) cracked after printing maybe 20 hours. I had probably tightened the belt to much. I switched to 20 tooth pulleys and they are fine now. The steel core belts stretch less and have less back lash. That’s the reason I bought them, just don’t over tighten them. Then they will break.
BTW I tested them by hanging a 2kg weight on 1m of cheap black belt and 1m of white steel core belt. Both sourced from Aliexpress.

@Dale_Dunn Steel wire reinforced belt shouldn’t stretch as much as usual neoprene rubber belt.

@Bajdi_Electronics What was the end result on the testing you did?

I’ve got them on mine, as well as a couple fiberglass ones. I was told the tight radius areas I should avoid (like a 20 tooth pulley) but that they’d work fine otherwise. I haven’t seen a difference between the two types to be honest.

@Bajdi_Electronics ​ it’s not the tension that kills them it’s the bend radius. Steel core needs a bigger radius.

Yes, tight bend radius rapidly fatigues steel core belts. They’re not great for 3D printing, because it is a high-cycle application with tight belt bends.

The ability to use small pulleys helps with precision by reducing the amount of motor torque required for a given motion. So by switching to a larger pulley and a steel belt there’s a good chance you’re actually making performance worse.

Standard fiberglass-yarn and less-common aramid-yarn belts have effectively zero stretch and creep for normal 3d printing applications. (If your belts are stretchy, they’re shoddy nylon core knock-offs and you need to throw them away.) If you have an unusually large printer, it’s worth jumping up to 9mm wide 2mm pitch GT3 belts, which are a lot stiffer than standard 6mm GT2 belts, but fiberglass or aramid are still the right way to go.