Hello Guys i am thinking of making an Eustahios printer i have aluminum extrusion

Hello Guys i am thinking of making an Eustahios printer i have aluminum extrusion of below given specs would it be strong if i make cornor joints with laser cut acrylic instead of printed parts

It prolly would be. However the Eustahios has quite a bit of mass. So I am not sure. I would get the corner aluminum connectors and put them in place where possible. I too like the idea of laser cut bearing mounts much better. @Jason_Smith makes it look easy to align the rods, however I did not do as well with my plotter bot design.
Imgur
Let me know if you end up doing it.

@Riley_Porter_ril3y Sure

I should note that @Jason_Smith came over and “fixed” my rods so my machine would move much smoother!

@Jason_Smith I think I have my rods level. But would you mind letting me know your tricks. I put the carriage in the center then leveled all mine with a caliper to the frame. Then moved the the carriage in each corner loosened the bottom rod bearing block bolts to let it relax to its preferred location, then tightened it up.

@Eclsnowman , the method you describe here is the best that I’ve found. It definitely takes some time to break a machine in before it reaches optimal smoothness. I should add that as long as the carriage travels smoothly, you have make up for any slight unlevelness with the bed adjustment.

@Bijil_Baji , I think most folks using the aluminum extrusion for these frames have gone away from any printed or laser cut parts for the corners. Someone (I think @Tim_Rastall maybe, can’t find it right now) made a video showing how the extrusion can be fastened at the corners by tapping the ends of the intersecting pieces and sliding the head of the bolt into the channel of the perpendicular extrusion. Between this method and the commonly available 90 degree brackets, that should be all you need.

@Jason_Smith ok it would be great if i could see how to assemble the problem with extrusion i have is that it has a large square hole in the middle so mounting screw would be difficult

@Bijil_Baji I see now. you could print an insert thread it and epoxy the insert into the square hole. or if you have a piece to test it on you could see if you could run a tap into it and get enough threat on the 4 points to be suffifient. But why such large extrusion 40x40 is twice what most use. I have a machine with sae 1010 and it is too big 1"x1" I now use 2020

Unless you are looking to make a huge machine, 4040 would be, a waste. A hundred bucks will get you enough 2020 for a 300x300 build volume.

I say:

If you have the funds for it and the patience / skills to re-design parts for 4040 - Go for it!

I see nothing wrong with over-engineering parts, it means you will be better placed if you decide to make it bigger, or beef up other components…

Might be a waste if you’re building a stock-standard ingentis build with 4040, but if you plan on tinkering and upgrading it’s not “crazy” :wink:

@Jarred_Baines I have almost half a ton of 4040 extrusion in my store so funds and meterial is not a problem. If you could suggest me a good full design link for and ingentis design as a start??

You could try my Solidworks version of @Jason_Smith ’s Eustathios. Its like ingentis but more belts and motors inside the frame footprint. https://github.com/eclsnowman/Lien3D_Eustathios_Spider

There are also step files, sketch up, and other formats. But as I make updates I do not keep the other versions as current.

Or Jason’s files https://github.com/jasonsmit4/Eustathios

Otherwise @Tim_Rastall posted his in this community a few posts back.