Hello Everyone. Not sure if this is the right community to ask this question,

Hello Everyone.

Not sure if this is the right community to ask this question, but I’m hoping get some information on 3D printing items at larger scales. I just recently ordered a CR-10S (will arrive in a few weeks) and really want to print a life size human figure with costume. Almost all the articles/pictures I’ve been able to read about people doing something similar have used an actual life body scan, which I don’t have nor would want to use. My hope was that I might be able to use something like Daz/Poser to generate a low poly mesh in the desired pose, export it into Zbrush and have someone modify it/subdivide to add detail, then convert it over to a 3D print file to be cut into pieces.

I guess, what I’m really asking, is what type of polygon count would a life size piece need to have to be printed with good detail. The pieces would definitely be sanded, bondo filled, and primed before painting.

Do you want the figure to look specific? Otherwise, why not use an existing model?
3D scanning does not have to e expensive either. You can make a decent scan with an x-box kinect.

Lots of designs already available on many sites like Thingiverse.com
Just do a search.
Scanning takes work & is a lengthy process to get good results.
Do a search on YouTube & you’ll see what I mean.http://Thingiverse.com

Scanning is not a lengthy project at all. Take a look at “Skanect”.

@Glen_Beer Thanks. I will take a look.

@Mano_Biletsky_Open_M That is the one I do like, however it’s a matter of inpretration on lengthy. I made some assumptions.