Hello Everyone, here is and update:

Hello Everyone, here is and update: Completed 3D printed Prototype AFO’s

Can you explain what this device is for?

Sure, so Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) is a custom made brace intended to control the position and motion of the ankle, compensate for weakness. This Device is intended to do that but with spring loaded tension where it returns back to nominal position every time a step is taken.

@MidnightVisions an AFO ( ankle foot orthosis) is a device to assist in allowing a person with little or no muscle tone to stand/walk you’ll find these being used by children in their development years. Shriners Hospital is a good place for children with disabilities to obtain these devices along with RGO’S that will help paraplegics to walk.

Firstly, huge respect.

So the device is for anatomical correction? To try and ensure that the attitude of the various points on the limbs are positioned optimally to enable the wearer to worry less about where the limbs are and more just train the muscles to work correctly?

Have I got that right?

Thanks Yes, the spring loaded mechanism is to allow Range of Motion therefore further enhance muscle strength and motion by applying the right opposite tension at every step and the side bars are to correct inward walking.

I did not see this device actually working with only one outside brace for each leg. My thinking it should have an outer and inner leg brace to prevent unwanted twisting or unwanted rotation of the leg.

very good point, I don’t have a video of my son actually wearing them but you would be surprised how well they do prevent any rotation. The braces are from an old unused pair he had but they do a good job preventing any inward/outward rotation.

How did you do the measurements? I ask because I have some custom orthotic footwear inserts that you just inspired me to possibly tweak or re-create for myself.

@Kyle_Taylor That sounds great! The way I scaled my Scanned model was by using two measurements that I got with calipers the heel width (high points) and Big toe to Little toe (H.P.) ±1mm. In fusion 360 i found the close location of my contact points, chaged color of the polygon faces of the approximate location to not lose location when measuring again. then scaled until I got my measurement points. Hope this helps