Hatch Dog for Cabinet

So I recently salvaged a 5’x2’ metal cabinet to serve as a home solvent cabinet. Same one that I recently made a NFPA tag to go on.

The cabinet has a simple spring catch in the middle of the doors that’s not especially strong. Decided I wanted a more positive catch. Made a pivoting hatch dog to go at the top in the middle were the doors meet.

Made from black walnut with simple lathe turned knobs and a wipe on poly finish. Cut a couple of PTFE washers to sandwich the dog to ensure a smooth pivot. Lined the back of the dog with self-adhesive flocking paper so the it would not scratch the paint on the cabinet. Double stacked nuts locked together to ensure it doesn’t unscrew with use.

2 Likes

I need to find a double walled steel cabinet to use, as code up here in the great white north requires enclosed volatile substances cabinets to be double walled for fire safety.

1 Like

I agree, that’s ideally what you want for a solvent cabinet. This was just free and better than what I had been using. I’m keeping an eye out for something better though :slight_smile:

I… may be about to order 50’ of 20" aluminum flashing for Project Monocle. That might work as an inside layer?

1 Like

@mcdanlj Not sure what you will be using to trim the aluminum but I have found this tool invaluable for sheet metal work. There are a lot of different manufactures and styles but this is a great video on what they can do.

1 Like

I have a hand nibbler for small work, but AFAIK aluminum flashing can be knife-cut, barely.

2 Likes

Usually fire rated solvent cabinets are a sealed box with in a box with an air gap. Any inside applied layer would have to be sealed up fairly well to prevent solvent fume accumulation would could be an explosion risk.

3 Likes