Has there been a more elegant solution to abs prints with thin segments peeling

Has there been a more elegant solution to abs prints with thin segments peeling up, beyond my “Helper Disks”

Originally shared by Anthony Blow

RoboStache SXSW 2015 Part 1: 3D print, “Helper Disks”
http://youtu.be/zC65INxw3OQ

You basically need a heated chamber to keep the whole part at an elevated temperature until it’s done, then let it cool all at once. I hear covering the printer with a large tub can be helpful in the absence of an enclosed chamber. Also, I like glue stick on a heated glass bed. I’ve been getting good adhesion doing that, much more reliably than Kapton tape on heated glass. Also sufficient squish of the first layer is critical.

Thx @Dale_Dunn My Makerbot has a plexiglass cover, but right where the bed and first layer meet I guess its not hot enough to keep the part down.

By ‘squish’ do you mean that the layer needs to actually be presed by the nozzle harder, or do you mean the cumulative effect of the hotter space & bed lasting until the part is thick enough?

I find that printing the first layer at 25% of normal layer height and much slower helps my prints a lot.

Try increasing the printed extrusion width (this should be an option in your slicing program). If you’re printing an extrusion with a cross sectional area narrower than the volume leaving the extruder it has to be pulled to narrow it, stretching the plastic and causing it to pull horizontally and causing the printed object to curl up. This stretching is increased as the plastic shrinks as it cools. If you dig around in the http://reprap.org forums there’s some older discussions about this. Experiment a bit.

@Mark_MARKSE_Emery thanks, your firmware seems to allow a much greater measure of control of such things. Makerware has extrusion and travel speed as separate settings, but nothing in the way of time sequencing different layer heights like you mention.

@Kirk_Yarina Thanks. I’ll probably have to look into some firmware hack and/or 3rd party software to do something like this on a Makerbot