Has anyone used TL-Smoother on their printer, and if so,

Has anyone used TL-Smoother on their printer, and if so, is it really a benefit?

Yes, I added some to test. On a RepRap style (Arduino/RAMPS) I saw noticeable differences in fine detail … but that is about the most I can say :slight_smile: We have one that we keep set up for doing detail work (0.1mm layers and 0.25 nozzle) and on that, it mattered a bit. The others with the larger nozzles (like the volcano with 1.0mm) not really something that stands out as a difference. They are cheap and worth a shot if you are doing detail prints.

@Mark_Tomlinson Thanks for the info.

I wanted to see what difference a tl-smoother makes with a drv8825 and a4988 drivers. I used a Hall effect current sensor connected to a Rigol DS1054z oscilloscope to see the driver current waveform. You can seen the individual sine wave microstep current levels in the images. The tl-smoother does make a difference on how good the driver output sine wave looks.

The tl-smoother was purchased from eBay for $3. It is a 8 diode version.

Driver current set at 1amp
12volts
8microstep
100rpm
I used grbl1.1f running on a Arduino Uno/CNC shield.

Tested stepper motor:

Model 17HS19-2004S1
http://STEPPERONLINE.COM
Holding Torque 0.59Nm 84oz-in
Step angle 1.8DEGREE
max current/phase 2amp/phase
phase resistance 1.4ohm
phase voltage 2.8volt
phase inductance 3mH
weight 400gram
length 47mm
size Nema17
missing/deleted image from Google+

A4988 no smoothermissing/deleted image from Google+

A4988 with smoothermissing/deleted image from Google+

Drv8825 no smoothermissing/deleted image from Google+

Drv8825 with smoothermissing/deleted image from Google+

This is a TB6600 it has a pretty good sine wave output. You should not use a tl-smoother on this drive. missing/deleted image from Google+

Same with a Trinamic drivers. They do some kind of microstep conversion to make the sine wave ultra smooth looking. You cannot see the individual microstep current levels. Do not use a tl-smoother on these nice drivers. missing/deleted image from Google+

I knew TLSmoother was made to fix up serious problems with TI drivers, I didn’t know they would help Allegro drivers too.

@Jeff_DeMaagd it’s minimal and I wouldn’t bother with tl-smoothers with a4988. Better to spend the money on some trinamic drivers…

Added 4 to my anycubic kossel plus linear… Nothing… No change no less rumor… I’m selling it

Thanks for the detailed write up @Jim_Fong .