Has anyone setup a Raspberry Pi to use for a slicer and control to

Has anyone setup a Raspberry Pi to use for a slicer and control to send the data to a printer? I think it would be cool to have a Pi act as an .stl repo that can have files sent to it and sliced.

Okay. My intent was to use it as a drop the file, and overnight it will be sliced. I guess that I can create a virtual server on my Sun for the slicing, then dump to a Pi, right?

Fantastic. I get to play more with virtual servers too. I knew 3D printing would have me learning more than just CAD.

The Raspi’s most severe limitation is RAM. 512MB will be only be enough for small slicing jobs, which you could just as easily do on your no-matter-how-slow computer that you use to upload the files.

I just want to automate some of the process. My end game is to have “something” automatically slice a file when I drop it in a shared folder, to have it ready to send to my Printrbot.

as others said, slicing is best done on a powerful machine but for controlling the printer, nothing beats @OctoPrint

Check the Beaglebone Black. Could do slicing and control the printer due to its massive GPIO pins.

@Jan_Wildeboer Which is exactly why I want one, although I don’t think I’ll be the one to be able to make this work, but still, I love the possibilities of that thing.

Looks like @Adafruit_Industries just got some in stock.