Has anyone considered reworkinging the exhaust on a K-40 to allow a matetial pass-through

gplus
(Tom Traband) #1

Has anyone considered reworkinging the exhaust on a K-40 to allow a matetial pass-through slot? My first thought was to pull exhaust through the left side, but then I thought that might negatively impact power as it would be sticking the smoke through the besm before it got to the second mirror.

(Stephane BUISSON) #2

not exactly the exhaust but have a look :

the exhaust difficulty is you need to connect the fan, so air tight it need to be, which is not compatible with having a slot to let the material pass trough. this why I put it on the other side.

I could see an option on the right, the air flow could also cool the electronic.

(Tom Traband) #3

I thought about that too but I’m not sure i want to pull the dirty air across the electronics in case the dirt/smoke should deposit there.

(Timothy Rothman) #4

The exhaust setup is really bad. Overall I think it’s a design flaw.
Round fan on a rectangular hold half the size isn’t really efficient and prevents inspection of the air bubbles in the tube with the fan on. Bubbles are a large source of fried tubes.

Every time my machine sits with the water off, before re-firing, I disconnect the fan run the water pump for a while to clear bubbles, then reconnect and have to seal it all over again. It’s a big PITA, but IMO necessary to protect the tube. I was planning on putting a sight window over the tube, but not enough time with other projects.

I have a 6" inline fan and an activated charcoal filter at the end- one of the benefits of living in a state with legal marijuana. I think the fan and charcoal filter were $100 off CL and I can get new filters for about $150. I don’t worry about running a 4" line to a 6"fan because it’s really not a 4" round opening anyway (as stated earlier)

Much like this (https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-laser-cutter-fume-extractor/) but without all the arts and crafts work.