Has anybody ever cross-compiled a gcc application on a Ubuntu PC for the Beagleboard

Has anybody ever cross-compiled a gcc application on a Ubuntu PC for the Beagleboard that uses the ncurses library? I keep getting the -lncurses (ncurses library) not found message. The same program does successfully compile using the Beagleboard bash shell. However, I want to cross compile for speed and ease of remote debugging.

Michael. Great article.

I am also using the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi as my tool-chain for cross-compilation, also used in your article. I’m starting to think the ncurses library is just not included in that tool chain in the cross-compilation environment. Would you please try a simple Hello World program that uses ncurses in your environment and let me know if it works?

Yep, you’ll most certainly need to first cross-compile ncurses; then you’ll need to tell gcc where to find the header files (-I) and the libraries (-L) fler compilation and linking, respectively.

I did end up successfully cross-compiling ncurses. First, I did some research by referencing the ARM Cross compiling how-to at: http://www.ailis.de/~k/archives/19-arm-cross-compiling-howto.html#ncurses . I downloaded ncurses from the gnu site then compiled, being careful to configure the set CC= correctly. It took quite a few minutes to cross-compile ncurses on my virtual Ubuntu VirtualBox machine. Once the libraries were built, the ncurses library worked on my Beagleboard Black.