Had a strange issue today.

Had a strange issue today. I was playing with one of the sample files from the trial version of Vcarve. I had just done a test run that went OK. I did a command to home and the X axis failed the end switch and jammed up against the rail. I manually moved it off the rail and the x end switch tested ok with a meter. I reset the homing fault on cncjs and went to manually bump the X. When I hit X+ or X- it went in the same direction. I unplugged both y’s and plugged in the X cable to a Y axis and the stepper moved in both directions. So, I opened the control box unplugged and replaced the X cable from the circuit header. Put the cables back in place and the X started working properly. But now the Y axis moved in the same direction regardless of clicking Y- or Y+. I see a button on the circuit board – looks like a reset so I give it a good 5sec press. The board reboots and now both X and Y are responding properly. I give a home command an nothing happens. Cycle power on the board and now nothing works X,Y,Z,home. There is 24Vdc going to the driver boards. Other than a homing error the board seems unaware there is a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Which driver board are you using?

MKS DLC V2.0 Makerbase

Cool, I can’t wait to get one. Unfortunately, I can’t help. :confused:

Check all your homing switches. I thought I had mine right and had all kinds of problems. I still have issues with cncjs. It seems buggy at times and just freezes, disconnects at times. I still can’t get it to work with a touch plate correctly. I would love to buy a program but can’t find one.

The switches are oK - first thing I checked. I have been playing around with the R7 and cncjs for the awhile and no problems. I had cncjs running on 2 PC’s and its doing the same on both. Its the board or the stepper drivers. Looks like im going to try a board. MKS DLC V2.0 is available on Ebay for about 16-20$ from china. Don’t see it on Brandon’s store. I’m wondering what the options are.

@david_stewart I have tiny g. I still have issues with cncjs but not as many. Still wanting something more reliable but a stand alone program without internet.

I am going to switch from the TinyG to the MKS board a bCNC soon. Have you tried capacitors on the homing switches?

Yes, they came with the kit.

That’s great! Are the switches normally open or normally closed?

Open , close on contact.

I have had much better luck rejecting noise going normally closed. I don’t know if it will help on the MKS.

Can you reproduce it with the spindle off? That is the biggest noise source of course.

The problem is independent of the VFD. Everything has been working for over 6 weeks. I’m not 100% sure its the board but the price for a new one is very reasonable. Brandon is shipping me another MKS. Eventually I’ll look for a board with the software pre-loaded in memory.