Grocery Store Run to Power Tools

Sooo, this just happened.

Went to the grocery store for something and got a notification from craigslist on my phone that someone had a table saw they wanted to give away. I was first to respond, but I had to come get it right away. Fortunately I was in my truck and it was like a mile away. Got there and it was a vintage (80s) 10" craftsman table saw that runs.

After we loaded it up the gentleman asked if I would be interested in his 12" craftsman bandsaw. After looking at it, and made sure if worked fine, I reluctantly asked him how much he wanted for it. I’ve been wanting a bigger band saw but I’m also thinking, “where and hell would I put this”. Half hoping it was going to be too expensive, he said $50… Damn, I was getting the bandsaw :upside_down_face: . Only had $40 in cash in my wallet but he said that’s fine. :astonished:

3 Likes

Looks like you’re getting enough iron in your diet.

2 Likes

This is why I stay off craigs list…

BTW it used to be that you gave your tools to your kids after you did not need or couldn’t use them. Today is seems for the most part kids do not want their own tools and are not motivated to learn to use them or build anything. Its sad that kids don’t grow up building stuff, like we used to.

2 Likes

Is that what is called banding tools together?

1 Like

He had a 13" stand up craftsman drill press he wanted to get rid of also. Gritted my teeth and said no :sweat: .

1 Like

Didn’t have much time today to spend on doing anything with these, but I couldn’t resist cleaning up the table on the bandsaw. A wire cup brush on the angle grinder made short work of the rust. Applied a coating of paste wax to seal the surface.

The bandsaw did have a squeal when it was started up in the guy’s shop, but then ran fine. He said he hadn’t used it in years. On closer inspection at home it appears I’m probably going to have to replace one or both of the bottom bearings. Not a huge deal considering what I paid for it.

3 Likes

I would love to be able to fit an old school bandsaw like that in my shed - nice buy

1 Like

Lol, yep. I’m having to completely rethink my work space layout to get this shoe horned in.

2 Likes

Well I pulled the lower wheel and shaft on the bandsaw. After feeling each bearing individually they seemed fine. After cleaning everything up and putting it back together the initial roughness I was feeling turning the wheel was gone. :man_shrugging:

Did need to replace the blade thrust bearings though because DAMN. :grimacing:

Derusted the posts with Evapo-rust, filed down some set screw burrs and reblued with Birchwood Casey Super Blue.

2 Likes

Besides ordering a couple of new blades for the bandsaw I replaced the blade guide pins. The saw still had the original steel pins, but I upgraded to some Olson Cool Blocks which are made from “Graphite Im­preg­nat­ed Phe­nol­ic Lam­i­nate with three syn­thet­ic dry lubricants”. Most bandsaws now days have square shape guide pins, but Olson also makes these round ones for older craftsman saws . Had the drill out the holes on the guides by 1/64" to make them fit on mine though. Saw is running like a champ now. :slight_smile:

Top Steel pins, bottom OLSON Cool Blocks.

2 Likes