GrblGru 3.46 Released with six-axis robot arm support

Release notes V3.46.0

In the new version V3.46.0 a new 3D model of a 6-axis robot arm has been added.
It is the WE-R2.4, which was designed by Jeff Kerr at Thingiverse.

For those who are interested in details about the WE-R2.4, I recommend the very good 3-part documentation by John Lauer on YouTube

In my video I describe how to integrate the model in GrblGru and bring it to life with macros.
The work showed me once again what a great help a simulation is e.g. when learning GCode.
I would be very pleased if GrblGru could contribute to transfer knowledge about CNC technology.

GrblGru is now also available with Japanese texts. Many thanks to the unknown donor. :slight_smile:

Have fun with GrblGru

5 Likes

Thank you for developing the GrblGru software.
During use, I encountered a small error, hope you help.

The Grbl version I use (type $ i in the commant box)
Firmware I download here: https://github.com/fra589/grbl-Mega-5X
[VER: 1.1n.20200424:]
[AXS: 5: XYZAB]
[OPT: VNMH, 35,255,16]

With this version, there are only 5 axes X, Y, Z, A, B. But I use RobotArm5Axes, then 5 axes will be A, B, C, D, E. So only axes A and B axis are declare. The remaining 4 axes C, D, E are not in the firmware. So when I run the g-code to run the machine, GrblGru keeps giving error: 20, and the machine cannot move the C, D, E axes. How do I fix this? Thank you

The type of axis (linear or rotary) must be done in the Mega-5X software.

Unfortunately there is no “ready compiled” Hex File for 5 rotary axes.
You have to create the hex file yourself.

If you select Help\Mega-5X\GitHub in GrblGru, you will get to the GitHub page. There you can download the source of Mega-5X. (zip file)

In the file “config.h” you can choose which axes you want to have. Then you have to recompile the whole project and flash it into the Arduino.

I have changed the axis configuration only once. But if you have any detailed questions, the developer of Mega-5X Gauthier Brière will help you. You can ask questions on the GitHub page.

4 Likes