Google+ post by D Rob on 2014-03-08 06:40:23 UTC

64dba983dbb285e21b675a85a950a0ce.gif

High powered Magnets and a some kind of valve to slow it down?

Yes, as you pull the drawer, the magnets pull the rod. The rod has a spring on it; inside a cylinder. The other end of the cylinder has a bleeder valve and diaphragm intake. The intake allows fast compression of the spring then seals when positive pressure is applied. The bleeder valve regulates the escaping air to maintain a decreasing positive pressure. This gives a controlled descent and even a pull, when the air pressure normalizes, due to the spring. The magnets separate when the rod is fully extended, and a piece sticking out on the side flips a lock into place to hold the rod fully extended. As the drawer closes the mechanism trips the lock, after the magnets connect, and a retracts the drawer in a controlled manner.

Holy crap, now how to make that a part you can 3D print. In think the device is called a slow close draw slide. Maybe there is a patent that can be reviewed

probably but im positive the 20 year period is expired which makes it public domain in the US

Even better. Maybe you can make the diagram from ninjaflex or flexible PLA?

I’ve was thinking maybe a inflatable mattress patch

That too, just cut it in a circle

Cylinder (printed), spring, plunger (printed), rod (coat hanger?), bleeder valve (screw), neodium magnets, and a printed two way toggle latch.

With the right amount of plunger slop and rod slop might not even need a bleeder valve

Sounds like you have got this all figured out. What programs you use to model your parts in?

Solid works I can’t imagine any other way after using it. But I have a little experience in 3dmax

Nice. I am still learning solidworks but I have been using 123D but it crashes all the time.