General modding questions

I have a couple of general questions about modding for you guys:

1. When adding screws, do you attempt to use the same kind for everything?
Background Q1

I ask because I am working on replacing the existing interlock and adding new ones. The original interlock was installed with two M3 screws. The whole was threaded with a tap, there was no nut.

1. Did you redo the wiring for the terminals on your machine?
Background Q2

My PSU is this one, I think. All of my terminals use insulated ferrules aside from the ones on the far right (the last four). I have the tools to add the insulated ferrules to all terminals.

I have a couple of general questions about modding for you guys:

1. When adding screws, do you attempt to use the same kind for everything?
    As a rule I do use the same type of screw everywhere. I have become fond of allen drive screws of various types. As far as the K40 is concerned I try and keep the same type when I add or repair something. Sometimes that is not possible.

Background Q1

I ask because I am working on replacing the existing interlock and adding new ones. The original interlock was installed with two M3 screws. The whole was threaded with a tap, there was no nut.

• When I have to add something to the sheet metal I try and use rivet nuts.
    Amazon.com
  1. Did you redo the wiring for the terminals on your machine?
  • I generally leave the current wiring alone after verifying that all terminal screws are tight:

** However for repairs or additions:**

• For pluggable DC voltage I use 2.1 mm plug and jack.
    • I find these convenient, especially when used with the ferrules below : Amazon.com *
    • You can also get separate connectors and pigtails
  • For screw terminals I use: Amazon.com
  • For stuff that has to leave the machine (like coolant stuff) I use aviation connectors mounted in the sheetmetal: Amazon.com
3 Likes