FrankenForge ... a Glowforge salvage project

My opinion ?
If you can’t get transfer of ownership from the seller then it’s a fairly big project to gut and replace with “off the shelf” components.
A used K40 would be a better purchase.
K40’s have many different forums to discuss repairs and upgrades, parts are common and available.

Glowforge engineering, design, repair and supply chain is flawed in so many ways I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

2 Likes

Hi @Mr_Igor! This is a friendly reminder about an important point from the FAQ linked at the top of every page:

Keep the discussion Public

Please do not ask to take a discussion private, and please do not reach out to forum members in private messages to ask questions. Everyone has questions. Share yours here, and we can all learn together.

The reason to have a forum is to share information for everyone. Ask your questions in public posts. Taking questions to private messages tells all other forum participants that they are not worth learning from your questions.

Note that “private” messages on all Discourse forums like Maker Forums are not particularly private. All “private” message are visible to all staff, all participants in any “private” message can add other people or even groups of people to the “private” message, and your “private” message may be moved to public messages in the forum at any recipient’s discretion. Do not post on Maker Forums, even in a private message, any information that you wish to keep secret.

Asking to take questions to email is asking “to take a discussion private” and does not follow our site rules.

2 Likes

One more reason that it could have been a sudden shift in alignment, and then maybe shifted back. As far as I know tubes don’t heal… :grin:

I have a k40. Ideally would to use glowforge rails and motors. Electrical from k40

May I ask …
What attracts you to the Glowforge rails and motors ?
Or to ask in a different way, what’s not working correctly with the K40 rails and motors ?

It may be possible the K40 electrical connectors plug directly into Glowforge motors but it would be unlikely the firmware would be configured correctly. (motor step counts, direction etc.)

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Replacing power supply in Glowforge

Thank you for sharing, i appreciate it very much…It took me over 3years to save up money to by my GF. Now its broken, the the laser will not fire but everything else is working. My problem is i live in the caribbean and i can’t return this unit… please i need to do something with this junk that gathering dust. Can u help me fix or repurpose this machine ?

The Glowforge was purchased with the thought it had a good reputation and would provide good service.
Unfortunately, for me, neither was was true.
It did not function correctly straight out of the box and the company would not support or replace the machine.
When sharing video of the machine in action everyone I spoke with in the company would confirm it wasn’t working properly but otherwise were clueless on how to proceed to a proper functioning machine.
Working with PayPal it took a bit of time to have the money returned.
Glowforge had no interest in sending a return label to have the machine returned to diagnose the problem.
The machine sat for one full year before I pulled it apart to salvage anything usable rather then dumping it into a landfill.
During the process of repurposing I discovered one wire on a “Y” axis motor wasn’t seated fully into a connector.
With the left over Glowforge bits combined with a collection of spare items left over from previous 3 axis machine builds it turned into a fairly low cost laser project which is used often.
Surely would not have chosen this path on purpose but the end result is machine that is much more user friendly and serviceable.
Big thanks to forums like this one for the support !

Thanks for getting back to me, do you think it’s my power supply that is not working properly and if so do think I can have it repaired by a local technician. Also if I work with your build would you be able to assist me. I do a lot of repairs and replacement on large format printers so maybe I have the skills.

As previously mentioned I had some machine building experience to draw from.
And this forum was tremendously helpful to my Glowforge revival but the task I took on was basically a completely from scratch, build … not a repair.
Glowforge electronics, power supply, software is proprietary and unavailable which forced the path I took.
Study my build a little closer to see if it makes sense for you to try.
Otherwise piece the machine out, sell the parts to fund a different one.

You may also find some support at OpenGlow

2 Likes

I am in a similar boat to what you were. My GF Plus worked fine for maybe 3 years of light use, then suddenly would not home the head. About 6 months of tech support had the machine sometimes working and sometimes not, but now it is back to not homing and not working. GFs only response now is to send it in for $1500 repair or replacement. My choices are to either pay them the $1500, undertake your hack (I wouldn’t mess with Z extension), or sell the dead GF and buy a Gweike machine. I see a dead GF on eBay for $1500 with no buyers, so I’m not sure what I could really get for it. The laser is not mission critical for me so down time to get a FrankenForge going would be OK.

Now that GFs have been around for a while, I think a BIG wave of dead machines and customers in this hostage situation are coming. I would easily pay something like $500 for a canned, Lightburn-compatible hardware retrofit solution, that unchained my GF from the web, and simplified it’s operation, even if features were discarded.

1 Like

Do you know how to test the power supply? I have a unit that will not turn on.

Sorry Fire_Fly … I don’t know how to trouble shoot the Glowforge power supply.
A couple places that might be able to help :
Look for Jonathan in the Facebook Glowforge Users Group (GUG). He sells salvaged Glowforge parts.
and

1 Like

I’m assuming the low voltage power supply. Most of these have one or more interlocks so the machine won’t run. Mine has an emergency button that kills power to the entire machine…

Check to see if it has power input. Nothing out from the supply, that’s a pretty good sign it’s got a problem. If there is no schematic there’s not much we can tell you either.

Sometimes the output can be ‘loaded’ or a short in a component the the power is supplied to could pull to much current…

If you are capable of ‘electronics’ work, you could look inside for damage … but it’s usually the optimal replacement part for non technical is the supply itself.

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

Thanks for the input. I think this capacitor might be leaking fluid. Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps but I would think that a leaking cap would not stop the machine from turning on.
Can you provide a picture of the supply zoomed back?
How do you know the supply is bad did you test its output and input?

I am reading AC voltage into the power supply but no DC voltage output to the motherboard

That looks like conformal coating and I can see some also on the heatsink corner next to it.
Vendors conformal coat PCAs to protect everything from environmental contaminates since often cooling air is unfiltered and in consumer spaces can contain all kinds of ‘stuff’.

The capacitor looks fine to me.

$0.02 - that top section looks like the high voltage section which drives the tube since it looks to have a flyback xformer on it. The bottom section is probably the low voltage section. Hard to know what kind of feedback or controls the HV section might have on the LV section. ie if HV dies does it shut down/disable the LV section. If anyone else has looked at a working system and seen the LV section still powering up with the HV section disconnected(as you have it) then that would tell you if you can find voltages on the LV section when turned on.

Are the connectors hanging out of the HVPS connected to the LVPS??

@dougl
Not sure why the LV section would be interlocked with the HV supply unless:

• The lv supply is used to power some of the HV logic control functions.
  • The LV supply retrieves interlock states

I would pull out the LVPS and see if model #'s and such can be seen anywhere.
We could also get a closer view of the interconnects and components.
The LV supply looks like a standard switcher design.