Frame, round two

After some more planning, I decided to have another go at making a picture frame.

Material:
Red Oak

Glue:
Titebond II

Spline Material:
Not sure, all I have is oak (scraps up to 3/4in x 5in x 12in), cherry (1/4in x 8in x 24in), and beech (3/16in x 8in x 24in). None of them will really contrast with the oak.

Other options:
Pocket holes, just glue, forstner hole and dowel.

Thoughts?

Here is progress photo one (cut, glued):

1 Like

You can use corrugated joint fasteners like these to strength the joint. Just hammer them in on the backside.

1 Like

How well do those work with oak? I can’t imagine them working with white oak, but even red oak I’d be skeptical until I saw it proven… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True, haven’t tried them with oak before. Personally I’m a big fan of splines usually.

Corregated fastner… Not!
Glue won’t hold on end grain.
Go with splines. Any of those woods will look ok if you change grain directions. I would do cherry.

1 Like

A modification of the forstner bit and dowel method could be to use the forstner bit and drill down 1/8"or more and then laser cut some 1/8" plywood circles to match.

No way. Lasers?

Excellent idea. Thoughts on cutting my beech (3/32) with the k40? I have baltic birch at 1/8 as you suggest though.

1 Like

I can cut up to 1/4" ply with not much problem in a single pass. In my experience cutting plywood is more difficult then pure hardwood, so 3/32" shouldn’t be a problem. When you glue the circles in, just be sure to orient the grain across the joint.

2 Likes

Progress:
Clamp removed, splines glued into place, sanded, cleaned with mineral spirits, finished with BLO.

Photos before BLO:

4 Likes

Looking good!

2 Likes

It is done. Matted the photo and got everything in the frame.

5 Likes

Chrisp, clean joints looks amazing.
What wood species did you use for the spline?

2 Likes

Thanks, Don.

The splines are cherry. I bought two thin boards from Ocooch a couple of months ago and they have just been sitting around since then.

3 Likes