Forwarding it to the 3D Printing community: Originally shared by Rene K.

Forwarding it to the 3D Printing community:

Originally shared by Rene K. Mueller

#OpenJSCAD openscad #STL

OpenJSCAD.org Update 2013/03/20

I just pushed the latest version of OpenJSCAD.org 0.009 with following updates:

• import of .scad (OpenSCAD) files (via @Gary_Hodgson openscad-openjscad-translator module), on web & cli
  • import of .stl files (binary/ascii), on web & cli

Web: you can drag’n’drop a .stl or .scad (OpenSCAD) and you get a .jscad code right away, which you can copy/paste or export as .stl again.

CLI: you can convert .jscad, .scad, .stl to .jscad or .stl (stl to stl is skipped).

See updates at GitHub - jscad/OpenJSCAD.org: JSCAD is an open source set of modular, browser and command line tools for creating parametric 2D and 3D designs with JavaScript code. It provides a quick, precise and reproducible method for generating 3D models, and is especially useful for 3D printing applications. and http://openjscad.org/ (live)

This is still ALPHA state of software, but I am very close to consider it calling it BETA (just kidding) :wink:

One main feature I still work on is include() on the Web and on CLI, which isn’t as easy as it sounds, as browser security considerations don’t allow to read or write from the local filesystem. Several more or less complicate workarounds exist (e.g. drag’n’drop entire folder into the browser, linking Dropbox account to the webapp, etc), but none has really convinced me yet (more testing required), and I like to keep things very simple (!!).

I also started to experience the limitations of the powerful csg.js (nasty bugs appearing in the rendering and export of stl) - and I have to find out what the limitations originating from exactly (to make a better guess if it’s systemic or just bugs to fix), alike openscad has its limitations as we all know (failed STL compilations); and so on . . .

That’s it for the moment. :slight_smile: