For those old timers on the board,

Sucks too because Im not the only one getting these motors. They must have bought out MBots inventory or something.

I’d be pissed! That is the problem, everyone and their mother thinks they can build a 3d printer.

Makerbot did sell of a huge chunk of their inventory over the past two years, instead of retaining the parts as a way of supporting Cupcake users, then again getting rid of these motors wasn’t a bad decision on their part, buying it was a poor choice by Brooke IMO.

I mean, I am not going to fault anyone for trying, but I really feel bad for people who are kind of getting ripped off. I know most don’t do it intentionally, but come on…

@Spencer_Renosis Yeah tell me about it. Obviously Im not the only one that knows about these motors. @Aaron_Leclair No I think putting surplus motors in a new printer kit is the big issue here. If anyone has these in their machine I’d be trying to get replacements.

Overall, it is kind of bad for the community. Wonder how many people now have a 3d printer sitting collecting dust because it just didn’t work right no matter what they did. They may never know that it was the designer who decided to cheap out on some motors or simply didn’t have enough expertise to spec a proper one.

@Brian_Evans , that’s what I was inferring.

@Aaron_Leclair Yeah I know Im just being cranky and had to spell it out more. :slight_smile:

If anyone wants a good replacement go here: http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/partsmenu/187-stepper 3v at 3ohms per coil is much more appropriate for microstepping and it has a standard 5mm shaft. Only 1.4kg*cm but it works for the machine although the x-axis is amped up a bit.

@Brian_Evans it’s quite alright, I have much of the same feelings as you on this, It was a bad to mediocre motor on the Cupcake and it’s an even worse motor in any modern printer.
The amount of grief I have had due to this model of stepper was enough to put me off 3d printing for a year.

It actually looks like a 5 1/4 floppy drive stepper motor from the early eighties, which might have been the original intent.

I’m thinking of an extel 7pin dot matrix printer from mid 70’s, this was the print head drive motor. Followed shortly after by Epson, Star Micronics and a host of others. So this should be stable reliable tech.

If you want the spec sheet, I pulled it from the makerbot store when they sold them.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31642495/kysan-1123029.pdf