(First time caller - long time listener.) Have you guys already heard about 3D

50C and they don’t work? Shippers in the south better take note! :wink:

Gotta go. Learned a bit. Thanks

I have a home printer (printrbot), and I print ABS exclusively so far. Smell is not great, but hasn’t stopped me, and is not nearly as bad as I had feared initially, from reading comments.

Though I mostly agree with @Josef_Prusa 's comments above, the 50C he mentions (speaking to people in the US who may not have a good intuitive sense of degrees C) is over 120F.

“Don’t leave it outside” is fine, if you add “…and you’re in Death Valley in the summer” to it. Inside (non-ventilated) car temperatures can also get quite hot but for everyday, household use, PLA is fine.

…and +10 on the “multicolor is hype” comment. Seriously, don’t fall for it.

So… I took a stab at using a 3D Touch at the 3D Printer Weekend at MAKE last Sept. There actually were things that were cool about it, but for the price I couldn’t print anything even half decent. And yet some people who have them regularly print really great stuff with them. I was totally puzzled. It seemed at that time a bit abandoned in time next to the other bots, using a very basic Skeinforge profile etc. Then again, the LULZBOT was misbehaving and I’ve seen those printing really well in other cases.

If the CubeX is just a new case for a 3D Touch, then that seems a bit silly even for them. I have a feeling they have spent some of the past two years reworking the machine to be competitive by today’s standards. But then again, anyone making a machine for more than $1200-$1600 seems crazy next to awesome Mendel Max and Wallace family projects. The Cube, for all of its limitations, is darned consistent so a pretty cool match for, well, anyone not on this list who isn’t looking to tweak and perfect the tools at hand.

So 3D Systems is making a big play for press right now – but where are the open projects that are supposed to be launching this year there? I chatted with Cosmo earlier about his project – his stuff is awesome and I guess will be somewhere at MakerBot. But I still haven’t heard from folks I talked to at Maker Faire New York.

Lots of interesting conversation here.

The point about printing in colour being “hype” reminds me of a famous quote during the silent film age at the dawn of the “talkies”. “Films with sound?” “Who will want that?”

Think outside the bun. This isn’t a printer for university labs or manufacturers.

Why is everybody down on it?

I agree @M_Macmillan I see a lot of opportunity for specialty finishing devices and services that decorate 3D printed items.

@Billy what fumes … can’t you see the music? joke I hate ABS for it’s smell, but i agree with Josef, we need different materials with different mechanical/thermodynamical properties. For RC Cars, you won’t do stuff with PLA for example, because the stuff tends to run pretty hot in a RC Car.

I think @M_Macmillan that the “hype” criticised above is just that. The best example I’ve seen that can do colour mixing of sorts is the three-way-extruder demonstrated by Richrap here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g0fiWx8RyM but it’s only mixing them up like a tube of child’s toothpaste.

@Josef_Prusa & @Dave_Durant , I agree mostly on the multicolor is hype (due to lack in software support)… BUT: Don’t forget that multicolor means multi-head, and multi-head could also be multi-material, instead of multicolor.

Ok, this is only beneficial with the availability of nice solvable support materials and with an open design which doesn’t lock you into crazily expensive cartridges :wink:

@Matthew_Griffin CES is expensive. You’ll probably have to wait for Makerfaire Bay Area for small company announcements. Hackaday idiots were complaining last year about too many 3d printers, but I think this year it really is going to be nuts.

or come over to Germany, Make Munich … and we all will meet at Euromold & 3d PrintShow in London i hope

Yeah, there was so much interesting stuff this year at Euromold and 3D PrintShow. I helped a lot of folks get their stuff to 3D PrintShow but didn’t get to go – was doing intense projects for Adafruit.

Hi Matthew
That’s kinda why I’m here. I have a pipe-dream about putting one of these shows together here in Canada. Truth is I know so little about the market but I believe, like we all do, that there is so much potential in this field.

My thoughts were that if I get some of the major players together they would make it happen simply for the fact that they have a vested interest in making it happen (promotion of their product or service). Number of factors holding he back. Time, money, knowledge. Quite the hurtle,right? But it doesn’t hurt to try, right? Like I said it’s a pipe-dream. Matthew, at the end of the day, was it worth the time you put into it?

@M_Macmillan Go for it. The hype is your friend.

There are a HUGE number of 3D Printing enthusiasts and events and users groups in Canada. You need not invent from the ground up – you should get to know the really established folks there who are throwing conferences already.

Thanks Florian. My goal is to put together a show devoid of the hard sell that select corporate marketing teams seem to do but a show built from the ground up. I’d like to see, for once, the users dictating the direction. If you read some of these posts, people seem to have a loyalty to their printer brand that seems, at times, stronger than the printer company itself. I don’t have any key elements in place at this point it’s a pipe-dream. But I do know what I don’t want. Guest speakers that seem to be on the “circuit” toting of phrases like “Running a company is alot like being an athlete”. I can’t stand fluff like that. I know of a show in California that had a futurist as a guest speaker. Yes, thank you. People are there (hopefully) to be inspired and to learn more. Anyway I’m just rambling at this point trying to learn more.

Sorry Matthew. I was writing my post, got side tracked away from here and finished the post without seeing your post. Yes, I’ll look for and visit any shows that comes to near the Wet Coast (<-- not a typo unfortunately) and take notes and exchange info. Definately (nodding.). I’m not willing to travel any great distance. And, as you state, maybe one of these shows is exactly what looking for and I don’t need to bother with the whole exercise. I’m still going to gather insight here regardless because I’m so blue (less than green).