First, thanks to the whole community for a great library! I've got it running

First, thanks to the whole community for a great library! I’ve got it running on an ESP8266 with 150 leds, and it’s awesome! I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what I’m trying to do:

Ideally, I would love to be able to define patterns via a webserver and have them sent to the esp8266 - I’m thinking like a feature that reads what is currently laying on my spotify account and syncs up to it, arbitrary patterns, etc.

I’ve tried doing a full webserver and posting the data as strings of characters, which was very slow - slightly better performance was UDP packets, but still only about 1-2 frames per second.

I’m not sure if sending arbitrary packets like that has a theoretical limit (i.e., if I’m wasting my time on this particular approach and should focus instead of predefined functions on the esp8266 that just get triggered via external network interaction). Any advice would be wonderful as far as the best ways to try and accomplish some of these things - thanks!

There are some problems with this approach on micros. You would be better off to develop patterns that live on the micro, and send an MQTT or REST to the device which would then run the selected animation.

With some optimization, you can get more FPS, but it’s unlikely to ever match expectations.

For this, I’d look in to FadeCandy: FadeCandy - Dithering USB-Controlled Driver for RGB NeoPixels : ID 1689 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Most of the cool stuff in FastLED is designed for generating patterns on the microcontroller, without requiring a computer. It can definitely be done, but FadeCandy takes care of a lot of the work for you.

There are some problems with this approach on micros. You would be better off to develop patterns that live on the micro, and send an MQTT or REST to the device which would then run the selected animation.

With some optimization, you can get more FPS, but it’s unlikely to ever match expectations.

i got 24 fps with artnet on my 16x16 matrix with https://github.com/rstephan/ArtnetWifi and pixelinvader as controller.
But pure artnet is beyond me.