Firmware /EEPROM/ Slic3r / Host - settings hierarchy?

Firmware /EEPROM/ Slic3r / Host - settings hierarchy?

I’m trying to get a clear picture in my mind what the hierarchy is for settings that appear to exist across the above levels.

Let’s say, for example, that I want to adjust something a simple (or not so simple) as travel feed rate. I can do this in the Firmware configuration before I compile and upload to the controller. I can also do this in the firmware EEPROM. I can also set this in my Slic3r settings, and finally, I can set this in my Host.

without a clear understanding of the relationship between these settings it is difficult for me to think about calibrating or understanding the changes to the settings until I understand what overrules what.

I would be grateful for any assistance from the community, including links to where I might learn more.

My configuration:
RepStrap
Azteeg X3 running Repetier Firmware
Repetier Host

The feed rates set in firmware are limits. If you send gcode telling it to go faster, it will go that speed instead. Otherwise, it will use the speed in the gcode (from the slicer or host).

OK, Rich, so if I understand you correctly:

GCcode is what printer will attempt to do – Unless there is a limit defined in EEPROM. If there exists a limit in EEPROM then the printer will use the EEPROM setting (In this case it will limit max speed to the limit defined in EEPROM).

That leaves the matter of Slic3r or Host. I assume that host always trumps Slic3r because slic3r generates the GCode but Host can override what it sends to the printer in real time?

So, a hierarchy for GCODE would be (From highest priority to lowest):

GCode sent by Host (But always subject to the limits defined in EEPROM)
Gcode generated by Slic3R (Or other tool loaded into host)

If the above is correct and a setting (say a speed limit) exists in the firmware config file and I have a different limit in the EEPROM who wins? Is it safe to assume that EEPROM always overrides what is compiled into Repetier Firmware?

EEPROM settings override compile-time “factory defaults”.

Also, the host probably won’t change the gcode you try to send with it. The settings in the host should all be for things like the host’s own jog controls (in which case the host is generating lines of gcode to control the machine, rather than sending it output from slic3r).

Please confirm that I understand correctly that in Repetier host:

1. The feed rate, temperature, and what to do on Job Kill settings that are on the “Printer” Tab are basic defaults unless/until overwritten by either the gcode or the manual controls? or is it the other way around?

2. The purpose of the “Printer Shape” settings in RH is to determine how RH will display things for configuration (e.g. what can fit on bed, etd) but that does not affect the generated by Slic3r or sent to the printer? I assume the gcode is generated all in Slic3r?

I’m working to calibrate my RepStrap and I want to get clear on where in the settings to focus my attention…

Anyone able to comment on my last question?

The speed settings in the printer tab are only for manual control (the jog controls, etc.). Slic3r will supply its own speeds. The printer dimensions are used for display and for the plater. If you plate multiple STLs in Repetier Host, and hit slice with Slic3r, it will use Repetier Host’s boundaries and zero position rather than those in Slic3r’s printer settings tab for positioning the parts (Repetier Host sends offsets along with the STL data or something), but all other settings will come from Slic3r.

Thank you! That all makes sense to me now. I appreciate the help! Hopefully, by posting this here it will be of help to others too. Thanks again.