FIRE in the storm on an APA102 matrix! :-) Hello everybody,

do not see for quality. It is just for quick testing. As Russians says “made on knee” )
missing/deleted image from Google+

Nice. I´d recommend to adjust the parameters until you get little seperate clouds at the top. It´s the right combination of dim value, y speed, heatmap speed and fps. Also try a longer delay just to really see what´s going on. At the beginning I thought I failed - but it was just to fast.

@Louis_Beaudoin1

@Stefan_Petrick I’m using Jason Coon’s esp8266-fastled-webserver code. I add my animations and parameters that I need and I’m able to adjust variables “online” with web interface. With this “hack” I need to flash firmware less 5-10 times )

That looks awesome, well done

Thanks @Stefan_Petrick ! I tested your code on my 8X37 matrix and it works really well… My partner got scared this morning when she thought for a second that our place was on fire. This proofs that we are approaching a realistic effect :wink: I set “Dim = Dim /1” as my matrix is not as high as yours.

@Valentin_Bauwens Nice build and LOL. Thank you for the funny feedback!

@Stefan_Petrick - this is awesome! I want to do something very similar but instead of the matrix being 2D I want to use separate strips attached to a pipe so that I can simulate more of a candle/torch flame rather than a fireplace. So I have 2 questions:

1. If I connect the individual strips to mimic the integrated matrix you are using I need to connect the strips in serpentine manner, correct? ie data direction for strip 1 is going up and data direction for strip 2 is going down etc?
  2. Currenty I am using Adafruit metro mini - do I need to switch to a 16 bit controller to make this work?

Thanks,
Bruce

@Bruce_N some time ago I tried to use on ESP8266 some Stefan’s noise sketches, that was made for teensy. FPS was about 7 or 15 ))

@fa25514ad7a4d6321c2d for a 8x8 matrix I am seeing ~49fps so I think it should be ok. Thanks!

@Bruce_N You can change the XY function to match a serpentine or a line by line layout. If you use a small controller and just few leds, you can play with the delay time or throw it out completely in order to raise the fps if needed. I dont know much about arduinos - on an 8 MHz AVR it kind of works, but an ESP or a Teensy is the better choice. @fa25514ad7a4d6321c2d If it was that slow on an ESP it surely was the sinusoid sketch which heaviely used the Teensy 3.6 FPU.

Received my 16x16 matrix the other day and got the sketch running just fine on a Nano (8 bit AVR). It looks awesome once you make the diffusion j u s t right.

@Stefan_Petrick I don’t remember what functions was are. I want to use your code for Jason’s Fibonacci project, but I had no luck with converting his coordinates to your sketch’s principles. And I leave this idea to use your code :frowning:
My programming skill is too low :frowning: