Finally Tinig G2 running properly on a DUE.

Finally Tinig G2 running properly on a DUE. I have a couple of issue though.

• Connecting properly is a bit of a ritual involving re-starting the RPI from time to time, I guess that this is just what it is at the moment (1.92 json server aARM)

• I am not able to send the configuraiton parameters at startup, I ve got a couple of polarity inversions and the proper mm per spin for th e3 axis, it gets stuk on the buffer.

• As with GBRL (but less often) the buffer gets stuck and I have to hit ~ to make it start again

Any help with these issues is welcome.
Simone

Are you using the “Send No Init Cmds” mode for G2? Also, I tend to just hit restart button for SPJS rather than restarting entire Pi. You can define init commands in the cog wheel icon in Serial Port widget to right of baud rate/buffer pulldown. That’s how I do my G2.

Yes that is where I set the commands but they get stuck on the buffer and never make it to the DUE, so what I do is to type them one by one in the serial console.

Are you using the “Send No Init Cmds” mode for G2?

No, as stated I can see the commands (text mode) sent to the buffer but they don t move past. On the serial console i get a {“ej”:""} answer for each command so i even tried to set a $ej=0 first of all but it does not change …

The whole point of Send No Init Cmds mode which puts the workspace URL to http://chilipeppr.com/tinyg?v9=true is to not send init commands that the normal v8 gets because the v9 can’t handle the length of the commands and it locks up. If you don’t use that mode you will keep getting locking up until Synthetos allows a longer line of commands or somebody forks the TinyG widget to detect G2 and auto swap into that mode.

ok that makes sense now… but are “init commands” those we put on the cog wheel thingie or something else it sends and that it is only related to tinyg 1 ?

The cog wheel in the Serial Port widget only ever made sense for me for TinyG G2 because it has no EEPROM. So, yes, that’s where I put my config that tells it what all the axes settings are. Many folks actually compile those settings into their firmware for G2 and thus don’t need the cog wheel setting. On original TinyG I don’t know anybody that uses that cog wheel for settings, rather they just store their config using that amazing config widget that Kevin Hauser did.

there is a final piece I don t understand: when you say “init commands” are these those commands I put on the cog wheel settings or something else which happens under the hood?

Any text in the cog wheel dialog box is automatically sent on connect to that serial port. So do with that what you want. There’s no magic to it. It simply sends whatever text you type into that box. There is nothing under the hood.

nop, my question is : enabling or disabling the “init commands” (aka ?v9=TRUE) is that enabling/disabling the cog wheel settings or something else?

No. The TinyG widget sends a ton of config commands to the v8 to get it into the correct settings for ChiliPeppr to work, like putting it into JSON mode. Those clog up the G2 because they are long commands. So ?v9=true tells the TinyG widget to not send those commands. It has nothing to do with the cog wheel icon.

Very good discussion. Thanks a lot for clarification.

Tow additiona: I send only one command each line because of the small buffer size and use only good USB cable. I had some strange issues with a bad cable/extension cable.

Spjs supports 200k lines in its buffer and puts important commands like feed hold to front of queue on the fly

Yes, but when I use long lines (JSON) in the init script or in the serial port console I get yellow checks before each line in the serial console and the buffer of spjs shows me all lines as number in the buffer bar not sent to my arduino due.
I think it’s not an issue of spjs. May be I made something wrong with compiling the due firmware :frowning:

Hmm. If i recall correctly G2 only supports 80 chars per line.

Yes, finally G2 is eating properly my startup settings without any hiccup… not sure where and how but this little things about the DUE settings should be more obvious in the wiki. I see it is being currently updated though…