Finally purchased a new 3D printer

My 2208 drivers arrived yesterday. I only ordered 2, 1 each for x and y. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and saw 4 stepper drivers. I checked the box and it said 2 but it contained 4. I am off tomorrow and plan to make the change.

2 Likes

In the excitement of installing my new drivers, I forgot to mark the y axis to make sure I put it back to square. It had come pre-assembled. I did the best I could and fired the printer up. What a noticeable difference! There is hardly any noise and the test print looks more consistent than it did before.

Two things that I noticed to be interesting after the installation. Even before I updated the firmware to be complied for the 2208 drivers, it automatically enabled the soft stops. The current limiting was also automatically set.

I will know how bad or good the y square is after I try a larger print. Off to the next mod!

Thanks again for all the great input!

2 Likes

I have to say the customer service for Geeetech is top notch. They sent the parts, screws and knobs to replace the bent ones. For the dollar or two for the total parts, they kept in touch and then made sure I received the package. I am sure all their profit on this sale is gone but they sure have my future business!

3 Likes

This was my first long print. The base took over 4 hours. The filament took a bit to dial in. It is Melca brand which I purchased about a year ago. I do not see it much anymore. It takes more heat for a consistent print. I am running 220 C without any stringing. I have also upped the bed heater to 70 C without any sagging. It is some tough stuff! The bottom shows why I only print on glass. I hand leveled the bed so I see where I need a slight adjustment.

stargate bottom

2 Likes

Nice stargate. :cyclone:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Interposer to safely move stepper motors without frying stepper drivers

So apparently I’m getting my first 3D printer for Christmas. :tada: It will be one of these Geeetech A10 s. Still liking yours @HalfNormal? Which TMC2208 drivers did you order?

If there’s anything about the printer that you don’t like, let me know… I probably have a spare of one of them in some form of upgrade. The problems and benefits of being a technology hoarder, and perpetual 3D printer upgrader :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the offer. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still loving it. Made a bunch of snowflakes for a friend without incident. If you do get one, cut a piece of glass to go on the bed and hold it down with clips. It’s a lot easier to get the parts off. I use stick glue to make part stick to the glass.

I purchased the Geeetech TMC2208 drivers on Amazon but I do not see them now. I would suggest purchasing a name brand for better quality.

1 Like

I have an Orion CNC Delta printer. Bought it when they first came out (cost a fortune!).

Anyway, it has a glass bed - I only ever print ABS. Through the years I’ve tried plenty of things to help adhesion, glue stick, water / sugar mixture (you get LOADS of ants with that!), blue tape etc.

My goto solution is to cover the glass with capton tape, and give it a light rub between prints with fine sandpaper.

Works evertime, I’ve done that for years.

2 Likes