Fiber Laser recommondation

We are looking for a Fiber Laser for PCB production:

• board size ~100 by 100mm)
  • no cover needed (we’ll build it by ourselves)

Who can help with supplier and advice?

I’ve only had mine a little less than two years – M60 JPT M7 MOPA

So, I’m not an expert on this but I had some issues…

Fiber doesn’t drill holes well through an epoxy/fiberglass board. This a common pcb base or substrate.

I finally resolved to a jig to hold the pieces… as I drilled the holes and cut out the board on a separate CNC3018

It always stunk and further research showed there were other things that might be an issue… The following text is from this link.

Specifically, epoxy is an aliphatic resin which can thermally decompose and emit HCN (hydrogen cynanide) gas when burned with a laser cutter. It will also make a mess. For this reason, you should avoid trying to cut or engrave certain composites, like fiberglass, which are composed of a thermoset polymer and epoxy resin.

Having said that, here are a couple of YouTube videos on making pcb’s… two different ideas … don’t know if it makes up for the HCN :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Add a few more steps and you have a pretty nice board…

This, to me, is a fascinating video that’s worth watching – on electrical circuits with fiber machines.

Commercial production of pcb’s using a fiber, probably isn’t what you want, but I don’t know…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’ve done a first test at a friends shop with a 20W FM-MOPA Fiber-Laser (JPT)

and got pretty good results after playing with it for 2 hours. :slight_smile:

Drilling the holes worked pretty good and yes, a smoke exhaust is a must have. And good to know, that there a boards that are less harmful.

Next test will focus on a lager footprint: I’m curious if we get consistent results in the peripherie (hopefully not much skew).

3 Likes

Doubt you’ll have much of an angle problem issue … the F-Theta lenses are designed for this… at least as best as possible…

You spot size will change significantly if you go from a short to a long lens… same amount of power over a larger or smaller area, depending on the lens.

I don’t reference these lenses by coverage area, because the box and the lens has the F designation. My 300x300mm is an F420mm and these are not in a set sequence.

Surface speed is actually computed from the focal length… The higher the head, the faster it’s scan compared to the mirror movement.

Good luck with the pcb’s… then you can educate the rest of us :wink:

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

OK, I’ll let you know, when I have some results. :slight_smile:

1 Like