features for cnc

I’m really interested by your project for driving my CNC. This is a great work !

Such implementation seems to me more efficient than a system running Linux who has to problem to deal with realtime treads.
However to become a full replacement of the CNC PC in the workshop, I find usefull to support three more extensions:

• LCD menu system (4 lines x 20 characters) with push button/encoder to control operation (select file, override speed, homing operation, etc…) like reprap firmwares
  • wired 3 or 4 axis pendant like “Universal-CNC-4-Axis-MPG-Pendant-Emergency-stop-controller-for-Siemens-FAGOR”
  • CNC Digital Display Panel Board Module For 4 Axis like “Digital-Display-Panel-Board-Module-for-4-Axis-CNC-Stepper-Motor-Driver”

is such proposal matching or compatible with your plans ?
are such features possible to embed in the space constrained memory?

Pascal

Imported from wikidot

I’m really interested by your project for driving my CNC. This is a great work !

Thanks !

Such implementation seems to me more efficient than a system running Linux who has to problem to deal with realtime treads.

I believe it is :slight_smile:

However to become a full replacement of the CNC PC in the workshop, I find usefull to support three more extensions:

• LCD menu system (4 lines x 20 characters) with push button/encoder to control operation (select file, override speed, homing operation, etc…) like reprap firmwares

In reprap firmwares ( marlin ) this is panelmax support. We have partial support for this in the “panel” branch of smoothie, for i2c lcds, with encoder and buttons. We plan on having full support for this soon.

• wired 3 or 4 axis pendant like “Universal-CNC-4-Axis-MPG-Pendant-Emergency-stop-controller-for-Siemens-FAGOR”

You would have to code support for that specific device. Logxen is working on smoothiepanel ( an equivalent of panelmax ) and it will have wii nunchuck support, so that’s pretty similar.

• CNC Digital Display Panel Board Module For 4 Axis like “Digital-Display-Panel-Board-Module-for-4-Axis-CNC-Stepper-Motor-Driver”

That’s probably quite easy to implement too.

is such proposal matching or compatible with your plans ?

Sure !

are such features possible to embed in the space constrained memory?

Of course. We use 180k of our current 512k flash available on the lpc1769. And such implementations don’t use a lot of RAM.
So there is room. And if we run out of space we’ll make some of the more exotic interfaces optional ( will have to activate in the makefile ) and everything will be fine.

Cheers !

( the community hangs around #smoothieware on the freenode IRC server, come and join if you want )

Pascal