Fabool CO2 Firmware Compatibility?

I’m getting “no supported firmware” on my Fabool Laser CO2.

All I know for sure is that it’s GRBL-based (not sure which version), with STM32F205 microcomputer and MCP4461 digital pot. (https://hackaday.io/project/161666-open-source-co2-laser-cutter)

Problem is, I’m not sure how to (or if I can) flash a different firmware to the board to be compatible with something besides their provided, and pretty bare-bones, software. Given that the whole Fabool project is open source, I had mistakenly expected it to play nicely with more software out of the box, but so far neither LaserWeb nor LightBurn seem to be able to use it.

Please let me know if anybody out there has experience with this particular cutter!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

A very quick look at their specs make it look like you are tied to their software. They use an all in one controller board that looks to be custom. The only way you wold be able to use third party software would be to install another controller card ie C3D smoothie board ect.

It uses an STM32 based controller. You may have luck choosing Grbl-STM in the devices setup in LightBurn. But no guarrantees they are running Grbl-STM.

Ah well, thanks for your time! I couldn’t get any of the GRBL modes in LightBurn to use it either, so I guess I’ll start shopping around for a new controller.

1 Like

Hey Tyler,
I am a part of a team that is using the Fabool CO2 Laser to create etched dot patterns on PMMA acrylic. These dots have to be small and the distance between them has to be small as well, smaller than a millimeter in both regards. The software that comes with the laser leaves a lot to be desired and I am pretty sure that using the software that comes with the laser will not work.
I just wanted to check in with you to see the progress you have made in getting the Fabool CO2 Laser to work with GRBL firmware or if you used a new controller to accomplish your goals.
Thanks in advance!

Hello again,
I just searched this site and I am pretty sure I just found out you were able to get it to work with a Smoothie board. Sorry, new to the site. Is there anything with wiring or updating firmware that I should be concerned about or keep an eye out for? Sorry for the double reply and any tips or help is greatly appreciated.
Colton Stoltz

Apparently, multiple people have done a Fabool upgrade with the Cohesion3D LaserBoard that I make.

3 Likes

Hi Colton! I did end up upgrading with a Smoothie board v1.1. Have since been driving it with LightBurn to great success.

Almost everything was plug-and-play, except for the new plug ends that had to be replaced on the cables for the different style ports on the smoothie. I did have to adjust the wiring for the power supply slightly; I’m sure you can figure it out but I’ll try to find my wiring diagram if you like.

This is the one I got on Amazon, it’s an incredible deal for the 5x driver board and included LCD kit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7QKQT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fWZjEbEW4RM24

2 Likes

Aha, not a slow clone:

• 32bits ARM-Cortex M3 Microcontroller, Running at 120Mhz

Which stepper drivers does it have? The listing doesn’t say, and it would be nice to know whether they are DRV8825 or TMC2224 or something else.

Thanks!

I can try to take a picture of all the text on them, but the top line is A5984GLPT which I assume means it’s this one

For what it’s worth, driving these particular motors from the fabool, I’ve been using approximately the same power settings as stock and have had no issues with missed steps or anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I’ll look in it some more.