Everyone that sees my printer asks about resolution, is usually impressed by its resolution,

Everyone that sees my printer asks about resolution, is usually impressed by its resolution, and generally thinks that resolution is a good thing… which, I suppose it is. But it pales in comparison to reliability.

No one ever asks me about reliability - and yet reliability is everything! Once you have a reliable printer, you can print things; big things, little things, anythings!

Try not to worry about resolution. If you are printing reliably and want higher resolution, then print yourself some upgrades - it’s trivial once you have a reliable printer! You could even print another printer, and design it to be ultra-high-resolution while keeping your low-res, reliable workhorse doing its reliable workhorse things.

There’s always a confusion between resolution and z layer height though. The resolution really is the smallest detail that we can achieve with the nozzle. So far as I’ve seen, that’s 0.2mm.

Other than in the Z direction, “resolution” isn’t an accurate description of what we’re dealing with. It’s accuracy and a minimum detail size, which are defined by the mechanics and the hotend.

Anyways, a printer that works reliably and repeatably is worth much more than one that does a super-detailed print every five tries.