** ESP32 Update ** I just fixed a really (really,

** ESP32 Update **
I just fixed a really (really, really) stupid bug in my ESP32 support for clockless chips (e.g., WS2812). @kriegsman and I sat down last night and spent a couple of hours tracking it down – turned out to be an integer underflow (see the git log for details). ANYWAY … if you’re using my branch of FastLED for ESP32 support please pull the latest version.

https://github.com/samguyer/FastLED

This update fixes the weird behavior associated with attaching strips of different sizes (we used this case to track down the bug)

:clap:t3: well played sir, well played

Is the plan to then submit a pull request to at support for this chip to the main project? What’s left to complete before it’s ready to be an official platform?

Just wondering if I should be buying any more esp8266s or if the esp32 stuff is stabilising enough that I should switch

Thanks Sam. Is there any way to turn the parallel output off? It crashes really badly with more than 8 strips of WS2811s.

@Jeremy_Spencer Using my current implementation you cannot have more than eight strips, even with parallel output turned off. As I think about it, though, that’s not a necessary limitation for serial output: all the strips could use the same RMT channel, I’d just need to switch the pin associated with it.

Another direction that I’d been considering is merging my code with @Yves_BAZIN 's 16-way output, which I believe uses traditional bit-banging for output.

@Sam_Guyer , that would be great, most of my projects use SPI chipsets but I’m just doing some umbrellas with twelve strips of WS2811s

@Jeremy_Spencer I’ll take a look – it should not be hard to implement. The only downside is that in many cases having a lot of strips is exactly the reason you want parallel output. But maybe in your case it has more to do with the geometry/layout of the strips.

@Sam_Guyer You’re absolutely correct.

Would it be possible to send data in parallel to 8 strips, and then send data in parallel to the next 8 (or less) strips?

So semi-parallel output…

@Jeremy_Spencer Oooh, I like that idea. I’ll try it out. I might have to buy more strips to test it out. :wink: