Engraving on chocolate

LaserWeb information

On the About page, I see that I have:
Frontend: 4.0.996
Backend: 4.0.136

Problem description

We want to mill on chocolate, mainly names, the dimensions of the chocolate about 36 mm by 36mm so maily the milllin area will be max 30 mm.
what should be the parameters?
Tool Speed? Final Cut Width? Step Over? Cut Rate? Segment? Tool Diameter ?

Note: I am very beginner in the topic of CNC and mining.

System description

• I have a chinese CNC machine :4 Axis 2.2KW USB CNC Metal Milling Machine Water Tank CNC Router 6040

• It has NAME_OF_FIRMWARE version VERSION_OF_FIRMWARE installed

• I connect via USB

1 Like

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you your tool diameter, except you.

I personally havenā€™t milled chocolate, but you could expect a fairly easy cut - but its going to be trial and error.

Youā€™re best bet is to do some tests, then post the results for advice.

3 Likes

thank you Jammy, I have pasted tool diameter by wrong, sorry,
thanks for your answer

according to my first tries, if we engrave more than 1.5 mm the result doesnā€™t look good maybe I did not set the parameters well.
I am working on the other parameters,

Just so you know, you can edit your posts. Just click the little gray :pencil2: icon under the post and it will take you back into the editor to let you change things.

Chocolate seems like quite the challenge, since you need to keep it cold, but if you cool it too much it will ā€œbloomā€ and look bad. Not a lot of margin for error there. Iā€™ve never done this, so all I can do is say what I would do if I were trying this!

I donā€™t know what tool you are using, but I expect that a sharp single-flute endmill with aggressive rake and large relief would work best. Iā€™d think about it like plastics that soften easily when cut, like polycarbonate. If you use a bit optimized for polycarbonate it might work.

A slower spindle speed (larger chip load) might help keep the chip size larger, improving chip evacuation and reducing heating and smearing; you want chips not dust I think. I would think you would want visible curls of chocolate rather than dust. You might want chip load of Ā¼ of your tool diameter or so ā€” slightly less than the flute depth. I would also expect that Iā€™d want at least Ā¼ my tool diameter for depth of cut in each pass, and I would experiment past Ā½ and take the deepest passes that worked.

What are you using to evacuate the chips? Vacuum? Compressed air?

How cold is the chocolate, and how are you keeping it cold?

1 Like

Thank you very much,
this is the endmill we are using right now,
endmill-china ,
the tool diameter is 0.8mm, is it too much?

the chocolate is stored at 5ā„ƒ-18ā„ƒ (this is what they told me from the factory),
there will be a vacuum or compressed air to evacuate the chips,

Best Wishes

Iā€™ve never tried this.

A picture doesnā€™t convey specifications.

Gummy plastics typically require very sharp tools with high rake and relief angles. I suggest that chocolate is likely similar. I strongly suggest single-flute because it will give more space to evacuate chips.

I would start with compressed air, and maybe do both; jet of compressed air to move the chips away from the bit and vacuum to keep them from settling into the face of the chocolate.

1 Like

@mcdanlj thank you very much,
The drill tool is made of Tungsten, and it is 2 Flutes Carbide Flat Square,

Thanks for your information

ā€œTungsten Carbideā€ would be the material. Carbides are stiff (and brittle) and the material wonā€™t matter for chocolate, honestly, though the coating might. But anything optimized for plastic will have a polished surface, I think.

Hereā€™s an example of what I would suggest instead:

https://www.harveytool.com/products/tool-details-52431

Thatā€™s a 1/32" end mill, which is almost exactly .8mm

Hereā€™s the family it comes from:

https://www.harveytool.com/products/end-mills-for-plastics---square-upcut---single-flute/?creative=272770386416

Here are things you care about from the feature list:

• High rake, high relief design produces sharper edge for improved shearing action while transferring heat into the chip
  • Large flute valley creates room for the chip and aids in chip evacuation
  • High flute finish resists chip welding

However,

• Slower helix reduces lifting forces

If I were specifying a custom-ground endmill for chocolate, I would probably choose a faster helix to promote chip evacuation. But this is not a mainstream use of endmills, so you just get the best you can. :smiling_face:

If twice the diameter (about 1.6mm) would work for your application, I would consider this bit instead, optimized for soft plastics (not available in the .8mm bit):

https://www.harveytool.com/products/tool-details-51862

1 Like