EEZ Bench Box 3 pre-announced

Envox just announced their next generation open source bench power supply. No pricing yet. But subscribe for updates. :relaxed:

2 Likes

A brief preview of new user interface on the 4.3" TFT touchscreen display directly powered by STM32F7 and created using our free and open source EEZ Studio.

1 Like

@prasimix that looks really nice. Of course the modules are the biggest news, but the faster start is great, and UI improvements are great. I can already see myself disabling animations and using the dark theme. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The firmware is now pretty completed regarding the new GUI, and it can be tested even without having physical device thanks to the Web simulator. It includes almost all functionality of the real device and gives even possibility to attach load, and mouse wheel can be used to simulate incremental encoder.
It also comes with SCPI console that one can use to play with more then 300 SCPI commands described here.

1 Like

Now we are only a few days away from the start of the campaign. Here is campaign video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uke3_7qHTYk

1 Like

Only two of the early-bird specials left! Already hit $30K of $85K goal on the first day of the campaign, with 48 days to go. @prasimix, looking forward to stretch goals here — I remember watching eagerly as the H24005 blew through its stretch goals. Are you planning to keep the modules in production? Feels like for a modular unit to be truly valuable, you would want to be able to get replacements. Also, I wouldn’t mind getting another DCP405 or DCP405B to swap in for the DCM220, but I don’t need an extra power supply; thoughts about supplying extra modules without extra power supplies? Or maybe having an extra power supply would be cheap insurance?

Thanks for your support!

Are you planning to keep the modules in production?

Absolutely, but not just three modules that are currently available but also few other. Now we have a “platform” that offers room to grow.

Also, I wouldn’t mind getting another DCP405 or DCP405B to swap in for the DCM220, but I don’t need an extra power supply; thoughts about supplying extra modules without extra power supplies? Or maybe having an extra power supply would be cheap insurance?

That will be possible after campaign end, or as you said it would be a cheap insurance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Knowing that unlike the H24005 it is intended to stay in production and grow as a platform makes me less worries about getting extras. I can decide sometime in the next month and a half whether to get extra modules up front, I guess.

For the campaign, it seems like a 4-channel (Full) option (maxed out) and a 4-Channel (full/basic) option (the image on the page with one of each module) would be worth listing as options. I kept looking for "4-channel (Full) and read the page twice before I was sure it wasn’t there.

@prasimix, have you described anywhere how the micropython environment will be accessed, and what capabilities it will have?

1 Like

Good question, thanks for that. It’s not mentioned anywhere yet, but it is scheduled to be the main topic for second or third campaign update! Of course, it will be also become visible in parallel on our web simulator.

1 Like

Saw it mentioned on the comparison between the H24005 and the BB3, and interest was piqued! :grin:

1 Like

Bunnie approves:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bunniestudios/status/1197535881093165057

bunnie
@bunniestudios
Nov 21
I love my EEZ H24005 benchtop supply, but it was only available for a limited time… The next-gen EEZ-BB3 is now out at crowdsupply.com/envox/eez-bb3. Don’t miss out - if it’s anything like its predecessor, it’ll be the best benchtop supply you can get. Can’t wait to receive mine!

It’s a good value for what you get tho…compare to e.g. newark.com/keithley/2231a…, which doesn’t have the same voltage range or power output, primitive UI, and harder to program… it’s a rare case of an open source product that’s unequivocally better and cheaper than the pro alts.

[emphasis mine]

1 Like

An example of why does color touch-screen display on programmable power supply matter :slight_smile:

1 Like

BB3’s DCP405 power module advanced features:

1 Like

Given my experience replacing blown TVS diodes in the H24005 when I touched the wrong battery terminal, I’m very happy about OVP in the DCP405!

@prasimix I see your recent tweets about a flash grant. Does that mean I can quit holding my breath and turning blue over the Crowd Supply campaign hitting the target in time, or does that still apply but when it succeeds we’ll have an even more capable unit?

This is a “modest” grant (but welcomed indeed!) that we’ll use to cover partially certification process (CE/FCC) that should start next month and to cover costs related to development of new modules (2Q DC source and “simple” data logger).
Therefore it will not improve situation with campaign, but I still believe that we can succeed and that you don’t need to turn blue :wink:

1 Like

Is it ok to follow up on Twitter that it is for getting certification that should make this more attractive to labs? Particularly school labs?

1 Like

That’s right. I’m planning to mention Shuttleworth grant few times in the future when some progress is made with certification and further development.

1 Like

funded

1 Like