Duet 3D Mini 5+ and PanelDue 5I Mod

As I plan to upgrade my Eustathios to the direct-drive Hemera carriage in the coming months, I’m thinking it might be a good time to upgrade the electronics as well. The Azteeg board I was using seemed to be giving me issues (would stop mid print if it was too long) to the point where I had to stop using that printer. So, I figured why not go all in and upgrade to a Duet 3D board. The Eustathios obviously doesn’t need all the bells and whistles of the full up board, so the Mini 5+ should be perfectly fine.

Here are some pics showing the CAD progress on integrating the board and touch screen LCD (PanelDue 5I) into the lower section of the printer. I use a different floor design with a grid of evenly spaced holes. The idea was to future-proof it so that I could upgrade the electronics easily by simply printing different brackets that work with the same hole pattern. Not as flexible as a DIN rail or something like that, but it seems to be working out fairly well for me.

The LCD module assembly isn’t the prettiest thing in the world, but it should work. I have a mounting plate on the side for a USB Type-B plug which then connects internally to the micro USB on the board (it’s what I use currently on my printers). This plate is also provisioned for mounting a wifi-antenna since I image that’s the route I will likely take with my upgrade. I have a version for ethernet as well if people prefer that.

Anyway, time to get to the point of this post. Is there anyone else out there interested in a Duet 3D version of Eustathios who may want these files? I’m happy to share what I have if anyone is thinking about upgrading and wants to give it a shot.

2 Likes

Nice!
Do you want to add it to the GitHub repository?
I’ve made a very crud panel holder for my build that mounts in a similar way, but your’s looks way better.

1 Like

I probably shouldn’t have it added to the GitHub until everything’s been tested. This was more an attempt to show what I’ve been working on and to gage interest. That’s a bit difficult though since the community seems to be pretty quiet overall. I’m essentially doing a full re-CAD and re-design of the printer in preparation for the upgrade. I’ve always intended to release my version of the Eustathios design, but I’ve never gotten around to it.

1 Like