Dry run of my workspace (including new 3dviewer).

Dry run of my workspace (including new 3dviewer). All running on a raspberry pi 3… yes, both json server AND the web interface on a single pi3!

This is looking really good. Want me to put a link on the ChiliPeppr homepage direct to this workspace?

@jlauer if you wanna, that’d be cool!

Hey @jlauer , the homepage currently does not render at all on iOS (it’s blank). Just a heads up.

@Daniel_Chote whats your pi3 configuration to display the 3D view? I can’t get this to work on my pi3 / stretch / chromium setup.

@Loop_Masta be sure to enable gpu acceleration using the pi config tool. That should be the only thing extra you need to do

Thanks @Daniel_Chote . I set the raspi-config/Advanced Options/GL Driver to G1(Full KMS) and set the chrome://flags to webGl enabled but it still doesn’t work.

@Loop_Masta that’s all I did. Make sure that Xorg is using acceleration.

@Daniel_Chote You appear to have accomplished what I’m trying to accomplish…I’d like to be sure that my assumption is right…

I already have the modeling through gcode generation working, and I’m happy with it. I already have an Uno running grbl, attached to a gShield v5b, attached to my mill. I’m happy with that.

I want to use a Ras Pi 3 to replace any laptop/PC in the tool chain once the gcode has been generated. This means that the Ras Pi has to manage homing, jogging and sending the gcode to the grbl Uno. I am not adding anything new to the tool chain, simply replacing a “full-fledged” PC or laptop with the Ras Pi.

If I am successful, I can connect power, K, V and M to the Ras Pi, download a gcode file and load material and run the mill completely independent of anything else.

As an option, and only as an option, I want to be able to omit K, V, M and RDP into the Ras Pi from a laptop and machine a part, free to disconnect the RDP session at any time during the machining process.

Am I correct that this is what you’ve accomplished?

If I am correct, can I pick your brain so that we can fully document the process from day one and share it with others?

@Michael_Hendricks yeah. The trick is to be bare bones. I’ve been meaning to write a post about it. You can pretty much follow along with my octopi web setup on a pi3, on how to get chromium working on a minimal install http://projectable.me/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-octoprint-controller/

@Daniel_Chote I have read that post, and did so before I asked the question.

That specific post only uses the word “chromium” twice in the entire post, and the vast majority of it is so specifically focused on the touchscreen or octoprint, there is no way to understand what steps cross over to CP without days of researching octoprint…

I don’t want to be a pain, but that post isn’t any real help unless I wanted to run octoprint.

@Michael_Hendricks there really is only 2 things to do with chromium. Install it, and setup systemd startup. You can edit the systemd file to load with a different URL. All the other stuff preceding octoprint setup is x11 setup, which is needed for anything like this

If I get some time this week, I’ll put together a slimmed down blogpost for generic chromium kiosk setup

@Daniel_Chote Okay. That helps me separate the relevant from the superfluous. I’ll poke around now that I have a start point.

I’ve been irritating a couple of the moderators in another discussion here. I’ll admit that I’m on a bit of a rant that documentation within our community is atrocious, and that is doing all of us harm. The scary part is that too many of us think we’re being clear, but we’ve had our noses so deep in our own little project to notice that most of our audience is just scratching their heads and walking away.

I have written innumerable assembly/test/debug instructions for high-volume production of electromechanical test equipment. I’d be very happy to work with you to create a good documentation of the process and provide a large degree of the documentation I am nagging the moderators for in the above mentioned discussion.

I teach classes at my local nonprofit makerspace, from basic electronics concepts to C, C++, SQL, Python programming to 3D modeling with Fusion 360 among other subjects. I have been complemented for being a natural teacher, and have been asked to teach more classes than I have time to support. I often have more prospective students than I have space to entertain. I have six classes scheduled within the next two months. I have two university professors begging me to consider teaching professionally.

I can guarantee that I’d have an audience drooling over the potential of taking a class to configure their CNC mills to run off of a Ras Pi. I know five members off the top of my head (in addition to me) who have CNC mills keeping their workbenches from floating away rather than making the parts they have rolling around in their brains. I’ve already taught most of them several classes in modeling with Fusion 360 and walked them all the way through 3D printing what they designed. They are all waiting for the time to slog through the dozens of forums, blogs and communities and their “clear as mud” explanations. One member is ransoming my requests for information on a project I’m engaged in for information on how to run his CNC off a Ras Pi.

Such an audience would be perfect to test a full configuration process, and would offer a huge proportion of the questions that someone wanting to start with CP would have.

As a member of the board of the makerspace, I can guarantee that a collaboration like this would make it to the front page of our website, which would increase the exposure of CP, your blog and the makerspace’s website. Since the core value that helped our organization achieve 501©3 status is public education, this is at the heart of our reason to exist.

I’ve been pestering my fellow members to document their projects more diligently than I have pestered the moderators here. I pester enough that I risk becoming the resident author and editor, which would swamp me from doing my own projects.

@Michael_Hendricks as for chilipeppr running entirely on a pi, I wouldn’t endorse it as something everyone should do. It “works”… big jobs will kill it, simple 2.5D jobs are fine. Chromium will constantly complain about the page being “dead” when it’s not. It works for me, because I know the limitations. But I’m all honesty, I’m debating writing my own stack, optimized for the pi. Or maybe going the linuxcnc route.