DRV8825 vs A4988. Star Wars - Imperial March...

Its’ everything like you say except for the EN pin. I’m doing the measurement after having energized the stepper. But the 8825 are working on the same socket and have also the same measurement for EN (GND).
I can hear the stepper getting energized with the 6128 but they aren’t going further than one click…

… Of course, this is way better:

@Ryan_Carlyle Any further instructions or tips? So far, from the signal point of view, nothing is different between the 8825 and the 6128. I’m stuck!

… Important point, replacing the Pololu on my “old” Prusa by the 6128 Panucatt, they work! Go figure… Anybody with a smoothieboard working with 6128 that would share his config file?

Genuine Smoothieboards have onboard 4988s. The Azteeg x5 v2 has 6128s that work well but it’s quite new still. Got a schematic link handy? I’m wondering if the sleep/reset lines on your board are wired different.

@Ryan_Carlyle Sure… Take a peek at:

Pololu and DRV8825 are working fine on the board. If you think a video could help, let me know (basically you would hear the stepper be energized, a small click and… nothing more).

Hmm, only thing that looks different in the schematic at a glance is the enable pull-up. Would need to take some time to really dig through it. Do you have everything in the smoothie config file the same for the 8825 and 6128? When it clicks, do the motors energize/lock, or just twitch and that’s it?

Exact same config file.
The motor does twitch AND lock.

Ok. So it’s enabled but not stepping. With the microstep setting you have set, and the motion speed you’re commanding, what is the required step frequency? (If over 100khz, it’s too high, and I’d recommend staying below 80 khz or thereabouts.)

Other thing to try, increase your microstep duration to see if it’s a step timing issue.

I’ve unwelded the MS2 pin to make the 6128 with the very same behaviour as the 8825. (I’ve kept the default config and they work with the 8825). I’ll try to increase the microstep duration (already 1 and 2).
My config file is here:
https://infinit.io/_/fxZGdZU

No luck… 80 khz and 3 ms for microstep duration doesn’t do anything different.

So… the 6128s and Pololus work in your Prusa, and the Pololus work in your AZSMZ, so I think that more or less rules out any kind of fried component or wiring issues. Weird. And the Azteeg proves the THB6128 chip works with Smoothie in general.

Try, say, 20-30 khz step rate or lower and see if that does anything. Then try much lower acceleration (like 1000 mm/s) and low speeds (like 10-40 mm/s) just to see if anything changes.

Beyond that, I’m running out of ideas. Could be a board-specific electrical noise issue or something, I guess.

:slight_smile: This last tip had some positive effect… It moves! 4 ms + 20 khz and low acceleration does work. I’ll try higher values independently until I hit some wall…

… And it doesn’t anymore with the exact same values!!! I’m lost.
I think I probably go back to both driver and controller supplier with probably some suspicion on the last one… Thanks for all the help @Ryan_Carlyle .

Fricken’ gremlins…

On 1/128 mode ,are those steps/mm x4 of the original config for 1/32?
alpha_steps_per_mm 111.42 # Steps per mm for alpha stepper
beta_steps_per_mm 111.42 # Steps per mm for beta stepper
gamma_steps_per_mm 1714.28

Can’t really tell you, as I would have to know the one you’re currently using (mine aren’t standard, since I’m not using GT2 belts but spectra/dyneema lines). But yes, there is a factor of 4 involved, so it could be correct.