Drawing Rope

So I got a request from a potential client to make some plaques for a French freemasonry group, They wanted a symbol that I haven’t used before that is unique to their group. THe best they could do for the the emblem is this muddy jpg.

Le Delta

Using a tracing program is just going to give me junk that would take forever to clean up. It’s generally faster to just do a manual trace in these type of cases if you can.

Manually recreating this is mostly straight forward except for the knotted rope around the triangle. Figured there had to be a way to do this in my graphic program, CorelDraw (CD). Did some searching and found this blog post for doing it in Inkscape.

CD and Inkscape are similar enough that I could do this with CD. The jist is that you create a curve in the shape you want and also an individual rope unit. Then you have the program fit a certain number of units along the curve.

Here I created my curve and tried some different rope units. For the scale that the piece will be, the units couldn’t be too small or they wouldn’t engrave very well so I ended up with a large skewed box shape that seem to work well for my purposes.

A couple of tips: Give your elements a solid fill to hide overlap especially where the rope curves. To make the rope look like it passes behind another piece, select the top overlapping elements and then move them to the back of the layer.

7 Likes

Thanks for the information and visuals. I guess this is one time that it pays to be knotty!

3 Likes

Thats superb !

1 Like

Keep us posted; I’m interested in the final result. I see possibilities here.

1 Like

For the last week I’ve been playing with rope designs. I work in 3d so a little different but also similar.

Model one segment, create and array and then follow a curve (modifier).

example:

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes