Doing some major code overhauling on liquid eye.

Doing some major code overhauling on liquid eye.

Love the mapping!

Fire in a fishbowl :slight_smile:

Such a great effect

You’ve mapped the LEDs in x/y coordinates somehow? How?

Oh, @Robert_Atkins , you should see how he does it! I’ll let Dan post the awesome details, but he doesn’t brag enough so I’ll do it for him.

The big idea is this: attach the LED rig to your laptop with a USB cable as usual. Then turn your laptop to point its built-in camera at the LEDs. Then run special mapping code, half on the microcontroller/LEDs, and half on the laptop. The laptop watches each LED through its camera, and when it’s done, it dumps out a file of XY coordinates for each pixel.

And Dan’s done exactly that. And it works. Incredibly well.

Dan tells me that the code to do all this isn’t ready to share yet, but I’ve seen him do it on a couple of LED layouts now and it’s sort of amazing every time. AND then you have this super interesting XY map which you can use for all kinds of things!

It’s awesome.

Holy crap that’s clever.

I can’t claim credit for the idea - or the original code, I found something that made an attempt to do it circulating online, but it didn’t work, so what I have has been mostly rewritten. It still mismaps pixels sometimes, though :frowning:

Eppur si muove.

The calibration code is in Processing or something?

Yeah, it’s a processing sketch.

Cool! Nice to see someone else using mapping as well :wink: i’ve posted some stuff using mappings here before but have just gotten round to updating all my code and fixing horrible bugs the old stuff had, i will hopefully get a new video up soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hUnxm39BA was my last effort where i got things to work in log time instead of single lights but it was clunky and error filled. i have now rewritten using a completely different method that seems to work better - it copes with things like lights in the scene which are always on and not part of the pixel chain but i think it’s failing badly for overlaps so it needs some more work/testing. if it ever works properly and at a decent accuracy then i shall post code, in theory it can map thousands of lights with just a dozen patterns.
Things get really fun when you start spinning the mappings and the lights at the same time! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuZPR6hMsE

Yeah - I don’t bother with trying to do any of the log time mapping, in part because the bulk of my led arrangements involve setups where the lights are diffused and their fields overlap, so it is far far better for me to do one light at a time.

And yes - I have had fun with animating into an internal grid and then spinning that before applying it to the output led mapping - http://instagram.com/p/oMx99FEp8L/

My hope, actually, is to include both the processing and the arduino side of the sketches into the library so that anyone can map easily. The ugliest part is specifying the serial port and camera in processing - right now i’m hand coding that stuff, and I need to put in some code that will allow the user to select what camera and what serial port to use.