Does anyone make a conductive filement?

Does anyone make a conductive filement? This could be good for using a 3d printer for circuit board prototyping. I guess some kind of plastic with a high content of ground copper or maybe like a solder paste.

Seem to remember a post a while back about a conductive pen that allowed you to draw a circuit on paper and by using magnetic clips to connect battery/components, you could make switches by folding paper…will have a look to see if I can find it again

There is conductive filament. http://www.makergeeks.com/coabs3dfi10.html

The conductive filaments are conductive enough for things like capacitive sensors, but the resistance is too high to use them to carry current.

Then there’s the old process of using a heated syringe/cylinder, air pressure and 2 electronic valves to extrude solder.

I think that is not easy, we a conductive filament but only goes with static electricity, its not valid for circuits. They are developing a new one…it will be nice if works.

Also not conducive enough for electroplating. And they are brittle.

Just an FYI the current conductive filaments used graphite to make the filament “conductive”. So really you have a big carbon resistor. doping it with copper is interesting, but it would be expensive.

I just ordered a pen, maybe this could be used as a plotter attachment, then electroplate the ink. Conductive inks are only good up to a few MHz, and only for lower current applications (better then the filament, but worse then copper. and electroplating setup can be had for ~$15 (that is on the high side) i slapped one together a few weeks back to play with electroplating 3D prints.Note the pen is quite expensive, but if it works, a pencil should be and adequate replacement, I have electroplated pencil led.

@Camerin_hahn Once again you have piqued my curiosity. Any links for the DIY electroplating?

@Rojer_Wisner Yes. Supplies you need from the “criminal” section at you local hardware store are vinegar, a glass jar of some sort, hydrogen peroxide, some wire, and some sacrificial copper, really i just grabbed a piece of pipe, then a battery or DC power supply.

I think this link has the entire how to, but i grabbed bits from all over the place, then found this write-up. http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-Copper-Plating/

Edit: as he points out, gloves, eye protection, safety equipment and proper handling procedures would be a good idea…

P.P.S. i do have some failure that i should document, and some small victories i should write up, but i have been caught up in playing.

@Camerin hahn Funny you should mention the “criminal” section, as I imagine that you are referring to the H2O2. I went to a local store on my way home after work and picked up a couple of gal.s of 3% H2O2 for cleaning out the drain pipes. Early the next morning two cops came by my house asking if I still had it and what I was going to do with it. I became a person of interest for 3% H2O2!

BTW: thanks for the link - I’ll check it out.

@Rojer_Wisner It is a friendly term some of my friends use when purchasing a large amount of unrelated materials to construct something non-conventional. I have visited this section when building things like electric firework starters, small cannons, catapults, crossbows, you know, the fun things where the raw materials could probably be used to do something dangerous.