Does anyone know the average printing size for a 3d printer.

Does anyone know the average printing size for a 3d printer.

Obviously, it varies, but an average hobby/personnal one is able to work in a cube of 200mm per side.

I wouldn’t call that average, as there are many that are smaller and only a few that are larger. Standard platform sizes are 200mm, 150mm, 125mm, or 100mm squares. The build area is often not a cube, with the height frequently being smaller than the width/depth (this is particularly true on Mendel variants, which usually have 200x200mm platforms with less than 100mm of usable build height. There are a few printers with platforms larger than 200x200mm, but they are not very well standardized and often have non-square shapes with odd measurements. Then, of course, there are the non-cartesian systems…

@Cornelius_GOLEM What printers are you including in that average to skew it so high? Huge industrial ones? 200x200x200mm is only 8L, and there are very few desktop models larger than that. 1-3L volumes are much more common.

So about 10 inches by 10 inches by 10 inches isn’t to small for a 3d printer right

10" cube (27L) is huge for a desktop 3d printer right now. 8" cube (8L) is standard for a large desktop printer, and while there are a few that are larger, most are significantly smaller.

Thanks it probably 8 by 8 by 8 and I just did the conversion from mm to inches wrong

That sounds more reasonable, though your 66 number seems low (I count almost twice that many that should be included). There do appear to be more printers in the over-8L category than I remembered, though your example clearly shows the effect of excluding outliers when averaging.

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/