Did one of you guys ever try to contact Worldsemi or another company and

Did one of you guys ever try to contact Worldsemi or another company and asked for somthing like the development and production of a 5050 LED with a 12 Bit PWM driver and a fast one wire interface? I see a big market for this. And of course I’d love to play with it one day…

Asked my vendor once if they were aware of any plans on an embedded LPD8806 … After contacting a few factories, they came back and said ‘not in future plans’ … I’m still hoping they’ll change their mind.

What do they need to hear? That Burners would buy some millions of them? :wink: What could motivate them to produce it?

Unknown. Though everyone appears to be moving to single wire and you can only clock so fast on that. For true speed, you need a separate clock line.

Well, with “true speed” I could live with 7 or 8 Bit PWM resolution… Would be interesting, how much money it would need to make a factory produce an embedded LPD8806. I wonder if Worldsemi has a patent on the LED + chip concept.

Thing is, 8806 is six channels, so you’d want to use the 8803. Then you need 9 pins, of which an 5050 LED only has 6. So you’ll have to use a different type of LED to accommodate the necessary pins. That all will affect the tooling cost …

Why would I need 9 pins? Data and clock in and out + Vcc + GND = 6. What did I forget?

Actually you’re right, the other three go to the LED itself. So yes, just those 6 external ones for the 8803.

Ok, so it’s about combining an existing LED with an existing LED drive IC.

… which is what WorldSemi did with the WS2801 and a 5050 LED, and called it WS2811 then 12, then 12a, and now 12b. I’m not sure who makes the LPD8806 - seen a few names, different factories, but there doesn’t seem to be any indication of a possible combination of the two.

I remember that I noticed a rumor saying that WS28xx appeared which can be driven at higher speeds than originally specified. But maybe it was in a dream. Do you know anything about it?

Dream … nightmare … take your pick.

WS2801 was an Clock/data based chipset - and the WS2811 was a standalone chipset, it wasn’t until the WS2812 that they packaged it with controller and led chip in one piece (though some places continued referring to it as WS2811 for a little bit after that). The WS2812 was a 5050 w/embedded WS2811 and used 6 pins, the WS2812B is a 5050 w/embedded WS2811 but only uses 4 pins.

There are 1.6Mhz data rate chipsets out there - I believe the TM1829 has a 1.6Mhz mode - but basically, i’ll most likely only ever support that on the arm platforms.

The 3 wire chipsets are a nightmare to program for - and are at least a good order of magnitude slower than the clock/data chipsets. I wish they would just go off and die in a fire, already.

My dream is gamma correction, so that fading up and down is perceived by the eye to be linear.