Did everyone see the announcement from makerbot at CES to create their own store,

+Brook Drumm great write up and insight.

I already bought a printrbot (and a Rostock Max). MB isn’t getting a penny of mine. :wink:

It goes beyond them just being assholes, though. They’ve broken from the new culture and retreated to the old way of doing business. 3D printers aren’t just about having a cool machine to make plastic widgets, it’s about opportunity, evolution, and community.

Status quo just doesn’t cut it, and that applies to the business model of providing companies. They can save their nice advertising and branding, it’s only going to work on the sheep. The community is far more valuable.

@Nathan_Ryan , unfortunately, some MBI is part of a public company, they have a legal obligation to have the share holders’ interest as a priority. That’s the cost of going public. Look at Facebook, their privacy and data mining has increased while their services are becoming more cumbersome. But they need to turn profit. That being said, I’m not sending any more money to Makerbot either.

@Eric_Moy I understand the economic reasons. I’m just saying I see 3d printers as part of something far larger than status quo businesses model and eventuality MBI will be left behind. Sure they’re making mad cash in the short term, but in 20 years well still have 3D printers and they’ll be a footnote