Couple of PS for my bench

I went to my favorite surplus place and found a couple of Heathkit power supplies for $5.00 each. The hoarder in me could not resist.

ps

2 Likes

Are their TUBES inside :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you haven’t found it already:

If the 5V supply cooks, you might want to replace the UA309K with a modern 5V linear regulator. Most of the other parts are probably easy to find. The circuit board was definitely laid out by hand! :relaxed:

No tubes…

2 Likes

@mcdanlj Nice find! I have not really started to play with them yet but had some ideas. The variable 20 volts is a bit wimpy at half amp so I was going to see what I could do with that. It’s still amazing what you can do with some of the variable Buck converters and a computer power supply!

1 Like

Use LM317 for both the fixed 5v and higher current adjustable. Or make them both adjustable.

2 Likes

An ebay or amazon search for DP50V5A will find the modern cheap front end in a few variants.

I went for the EEZ Bench Box 3 which cost more but man it’s full of features. I tried to price out comparable feature set in a non-open-source unit and nearly fell out of my chair.

2 Likes

@mcdanlj I have been eyeing EEZ Bench. It looks like a great power supply and of course has great reviews. I do have an old analog 24 volt 6 amp power supply that is as large as a shoebox. I want to make a variable supply out of it but the size and weight always keeps me from doing anything. My other idea is to use it on a larger CNC I would like to build someday. Maybe when I get to the point of Don and enjoy a retirement, I’ll be able to do all the projects on my list!

2 Likes

I retired at age 40, but am now running two separate businesses which is becoming a full time job. IU should be on a beach somewhere, but keep getting sucked into new business ventures.

2 Likes

The only difference between being retired or not;
Now I get to work on what I want to work on with whom I want to work on it.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well said Don.

2 Likes