Connect Via Ethernet with no Internet

Here’s my situation. I’m in an apartment with no wired internet available at my printer. I’ve had some issues connecting to it via USB, so I’d like to use the Ethernet feature for a more robust connection. My desktop is connected to the building’s wireless and sits next to my printer. It obviously has an open Ethernet port.

Is there any way I can directly connect to my Smoothieboard? Tools I have at my disposal are an old and unused but working router, a plethora of Ethernet cables, a crossover cable, and willpower.

Imported from wikidot

I was able to get this answered in the IRC. It came down to some network settings. I now have my Smoothieboard connected directly to my desktop via Ethernet. I have fixed the IP addresses of both my desktop’s Ethernet adapter and my smoothie. Pretty simple but I know nothing about networking so it was a challenge for me.

Hello, sorry for the bump in the thread but i am trying to accomplish this but there is no easy to follow instructions that i could find, google brought me here. Could you please explain what you did to achieve this?

I would be interested in the solution 2!!
For me Repetier fail every time!

So my only option is pronterface
Thank you

Try this : http://smoothieware.org/install-web-interface

If you’re not familiar with networking, here is a basic tutorial, making the assumption that you are directly connecting your computer to the Smoothieboard.

Note: Since I’m “Low Karma” I can’t post links, so you’ll have to unobfuscate them. Sorry.

1. Connect your computer and Smoothieboard with an ethernet cable (also call often called cat5 cable)
  2. Add / modify the networking config lines in the smoothieboard config file.

You can copy/paste the following or refer to the networking docs: smoothieware dot org/network

# network settings
network.enable                               true             # enable the ethernet network services
network.webserver.enable                     true             # enable the webserver
network.telnet.enable                        true             # enable the telnet server
network.plan9.enable                         true             # enable the plan9 network filesystem
network.ip_address                           192.168.3.222    # the IP address
network.ip_mask                              255.255.255.0    # the ip mask
network.ip_gateway                           192.168.3.1      # the gateway address
  1. Modify your computer’s networking settings to match. Basically, you need to be on the same subnet but with a different IP address. Use the following if you’re unsure:

IP Address: 192.168.3.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: leave blank

Info on setting up a static IP on Mac: www dot macinstruct dot com/node/550
Info for Windows: www dot howtogeek dot com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

1. That should be all you need. Try accessing the Smoothieware interface in your browser at: 192.168.3.222

Good luck, let me know if that works.