Coming soon :   Wolfmanjm has added some new features to smoothieware that will

I have no idea how the co2 lasers fire. is there a separate pin for test fire? FWIW Roy @ panucatt (azteeg) will be donating a blue box so I can further test this stuff… but it will be a while before I get it.

The new version is now the official edge firmware.bin I also recommend laser uses use the firmware-cnc.bin as it is more appropriate, and if using a panel far more useful for CNC like application. The only major difference to the end user is that homing is $H like GRBL not G28 (which is rapid to a saved park position just like GRBL) the cnc build is more GRBL compatible in its protocol.

@Wolfmanjm No there is no seperate pin for test. The way we have been doing it is short duration g1 moves in the LW macros

But in reality what needs to happen is the switch module needs to be activated and a PWM sent. Is that something that can be added to the custom menu in the LCD?

you cannot have the PWM both defined in Switch and in Laser. This is what the fire command is supposed to do. it will fire the laser just as a G1 would do, at the power specified in the command line. This works from a custom menu as I have defined Fire high Fire Low and FIre Off as custom menu entries in the panel. they work fine. But they are not timed and will stay on and you click the fire off menu item. I use the Fire Low for instance for positioning the laser as it only fires at 10%. Anyone can add custom menu entries.
I am still looking into what I will have in the Laser menu entry, and having a timed fire would be possible.

Right.

What I was going for is have the LCD button act as a momentary switch.

Button pushed - fire
Button not- No fire

eliminates the time step and turning it off from the menu.

The problem with a Co2 laser is they wont typically fire below 15-20% and with a higher wattage laser that 20% is enough power that by the time you scrolled to the “fire off” command, things are already on fire.

Ok that sounds doable, I’ll see if I can do it that way. The issue for me is that if I have one hand on the button to fire I only have one hand left to focus the beam :slight_smile: Also how do you jog to the start position when the beam is on low to position it on the work piece? although I suppose with a CO2 you can’t see the beam anyway. SO really we need both options, and maybe a config option to hide then one you don’t want.

Usually you either have a red dot laser setup either with a beam combiner or setup to point at approx where the beam spot will be. You just jog over there and set zero.

Having a “Co2 vs Diode” config option would be great