Christmas toy fail?

My mother-in-law bought myself, my daughter, my brother-in-law and his son these R/C cars. Pretty neat, in addition to the running on the floor they have a switch that activates a fan that suctions them to a wall so they can run on the wall.

The problem that I’m running into is the charging instructions for the car. Controller runs on 3 AA batteries and the car has a rechargeable lithium ion battery. Came with a USB charging cable. Instructions to say to turn the controller on, turn the car off and plug the cable into the car, that’s it. You would think that the other end of the cable would plug into the controller. But nope, no USB port anywhere on the controller.

Opened up the controller and no indication of any charging circuitry. Need to dig into the car next. Could plug the car to 5V but I’m worried about over charging the 3.6v lithium ion if there is no charge monitoring circuitry in the car.

Looking at the manual, does the USB plug into the car and the other side barrel jack(?) plug into the bottom of the controller?

Nope, no port in the controller.

How sure are you that there is no charge circuitry in the USB plug on the end of the charging cable? It has plenty of room for it…

1 Like

That’s it! Thanks, didn’t even occur to me :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Darn and I thought it was christmas magic!

1 Like

We received some of those about 12 years ago and they worked pretty good on painted drywall walls of the relatives home. Not so good on plaster walls at our home though. Better battery tech today so should be better and looks a bit bigger car now too.

1 Like