Christmas Plaque

Made a little Christmas plaque for my mother. It is 275 X 275mm with inlaid green and red acrylic. Done using a 100W CO2 laser, took about 20 minutes start to finish for the cutting and engraving. Still need to put a coat or 3 of laqeur on the wood, then glue in the inlays. Will add a sawtooth hanger on the back to hang it up with. The wood is 3mm Baltic birch, with the inlays being 2mm acrylic.

4 Likes

Ohhh, nice work! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice all it needs now is those inlays lit up and singing Merry Christmas!

3 Likes

Very nice work. I need to order some nice colored acrylic for projects.

@donkjr I like the way you think!

2 Likes

Oh and they need to fade to the music…!

3 Likes

Nice work! Can I ask how you applied the paint? Did you mask, and do anything to stop bleeding?

It is not paint, it is inlaid pieces of laser cut acrylic. I engrave a pocket into the wood, then glue in the acrylic pieces.

Ah sorry - my mistake. Looks great !

1 Like

I routinely do paint infills. Yes, masking is essential. To prevent bleeding the surface should be sealed/finished before masking and engraving.

While prefinishing is preferred, in some circumstances you might not want the surface prefinished. In those cases you can seal the edges of the engraving, with the masking still on, by using a clear sealer spray. Just be sure to rotate the piece and spray from all sides to make sure all the edges get sealed.

5 Likes

Thanks NedMan, I’ll try that.

2 Likes