ChiliPeppr is all about fiddling with hardware from software.

ChiliPeppr is all about fiddling with hardware from software. More fun with the ESP32 workspace for Lua for driving WS2812 LEDs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQLT8A29F0

Just to be clear the LUA api for WS2812 LEDs is very robust. Instead of loading a library a quick hack is to run files for each function and use global scope to modify things like chase speed. A wiring diagram for the opto would be cool.

The opto datasheet is super simple. Separate power and ground on both sides of the opto. Either side can take 5v or 3.3v, so it’s flexible. One input pin and one output pin. The opto is $5 though because it has to run above 1Mbps so it ain’t no cheapo opto. I overkilled it with a 10Mbps opto though. A cheaper 1Mbps opto would suffice, but this one requires almost no extra components like pull-down resistors. It also doesn’t invert the signal.

Just got a chance to try the led sample. Worked great on pin13 so I am wondering why the OLED I have is still not working right. I like how you did the fade pulse with the timer rather than the LUA buffer fade. Wish I had more time…

The Opto docs are very clear, thanks.