Chess board

To fit my custom 3d printed chess pieces I made a custom chess board to match.

Tiles are white limba and purple heart with a mahogany and maple accent border.

I have no idea what I was thinking. It is huge. The board is 30" x 30". Still deciding on the finish but more than likely tung oil.

6 Likes

That’s nice work, well done.

2 Likes

That’s really gorgeous!

I often have the opposite problem when it comes to size. I design small things, and spend so much time zoomed way in to the objects on screen in FreeCAD that when I actually machine or print them, they seem so much smaller than I was thinking… :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a check! Mate!:wink:

2 Likes

Are they individual squares glued together?
Dunc

Awesome fit, a beautiful wood selection, and exemplary craftsmanship.

What are the logs in the upper right?

2 Likes

Thanks.

Those are some cedar logs. Neighbor gave them to me and not sure what to do with them.

1 Like

Wow that is big! Beautiful work, very nice board though.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the kind words. Here is the board with the first coat of tung oil. Love the pop.

Made the board to match my custom 3d printed 7 inch tall chess pieces. No clue what I was thinking since I have no place to put in the house.

4 Likes

Yeah, but it’s the journey, not the destination, right? :grin:

4 Likes

lol. You are so right.

4 Likes

Thats a beautiful thing. Ive always thought of making my own, but i have neither the room or opponent lol.

Can you post a few pics with all the pieces on?

1 Like

Great timing. I did a small photo shoot with the chess set this morning.

I also have no room for the board. I have to figure out where to put it. The pawns are 5", main pieces 6", and king and queen are 7" tall. The board was sized for the pieces.

4 Likes

Time to make a case for the board and the pieces…so it can be put in a closet never to be seen again?

3 Likes

lol. That will be its final resting spot.

It may come out for the special occasion of closet cleaning.

2 Likes

Artsy image.

1 Like

Its a brilliant build - congratulations!

1 Like

Great chess pieces. Some time ago I had an Idea for a Chess board. Perhaps it would solve your storage problem: Cut the board into four buy some readily available powerful button magnets drill the edges of your board a nice tight fit, and super glue the magnets into the holes. If you drill the holes accurately you board will be perfectly flat when you put it together. When dismantling, even though the magnets will have a powerful hold, it will easily be broken by holding one piece flat on the table and lift in the adjoining piece. Good luck. Regards. Alan Newhouse

3 Likes